Author Topic: rectifier tubes?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
rectifier tubes?
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
this may sound stupid but i know that a rec tube makes ac into dc but whats the deal with liek the mesa boogie dual and trip recs? how would having more than one affect tone liek that?
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: rectifier tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
Those Mesas have switchable vacuum tube and solid state rectifiers. The difference in the tone is like the differences described here in the threads pertaining to the differences in tone, headroom and power between Sunns that have tube or SS rectifiers, but the Sunns are hard wired to be one or the other and the Boogies let you switch between the two on the fly.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:55:14 am »
but i still dont understand the point of having 3 rec tubes or 3 ss rec's in my line of thinking 1 does the job of 3 having more doesnt help the tone its just the switching between ss and tube in mesa's.

1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:20:04 pm »
Because of the limitations of vacuum tube vs. SS rectifiers, multiple rectifier tubes are sometimes used to pass more current with less "sag" than one. For example, the 1000 series (1000S, 1200S, 2000S, etc.) Sunns use two rectifier tubes. This vacuum tube "sag" can have a desireable "browning" effect on the tone (mostly for guitarists); when situations of high current demand cause some distortion.
In the case of the Boogie, you can choose the tube rectifier if you want the sag effect, or switch to the SS rectifier if you want a cleaner tone, more power (sometimes called "slam" in guitar lingo), and generally tighter and stronger bass response.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:53 am »
ok thanks edbass i now under stand more of this and it also answered the question i was asking
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213