Author Topic: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps  (Read 79463 times)

Offline justinmilwaukee

Re: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2008, 07:29:00 am »
And to keep things on track a bit still...

A picture of the band Russian Circles with the guitar players set up in the background.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2008, 09:46:14 am »

so be it-matters of taste are indisputable.

Parrot it a little longer and maybe you can get a few more people to believe it.

its simply a quote from the latin:
"de gustibus non est disputatem"
i learned it in art school a long time ago.
it only means i like vanilla and you dont.
joe-i love your acumen on this site and i'm afraid when i ask a question about some thing going on w/ my Sunn rig-you will dismiss it because i like the band sunn.
i hope that doesnt happen man.
yours in music appreciation
staninsanfran

Just a nit, Stan. If you're going to quote from the Latin, you should get it right. It's De gustibus non est disputandum.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:41 am »
And then we can stop typing every letter in the english language that is silent in that case. Hell, lets just type and write how words sound to us rather than their actual, proper spelling. SOWNDZ AWSUM RITE?

Isn't that called "texting"?

Offline cromag

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2008, 02:16:15 pm »
russian circles is bad ass.   must be something in the water up there in illinois.   so many great bands from there these days.

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36:09 am »
two sunns in this picture, a band from new jersey.  The Dead Heros.   

Offline cromag

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »
that picture above with the white painted model T that we all couldn't decide if it was the band sunn's gear or not......

it may in fact be a picture of the gear used by the band zoroaster from atlanta.  i came accross a discussion of that band and someone posted a pic of their gear.  it was that exact picture as the one posted above.   they have been known to use very many sunn amps and cabs.  the only problem i have with it being their gear is that they (zoroaster) also usually use a green matamp cab and head as well as an orange cab and head.   i don't see those in the picture above. 

still a mystery until we can get a definate answer.

thevisionseeker

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:19 pm »
I am a Huge Russian Circles fan since Im from Chicago and have helped out the guys many times But I cant remember what the bassist (colin) used. From this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOR1I2Q-OI is looks like it could be 2 Sunn Concert Bass heads.

What do you guys think?

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 06:16:29 pm »
that picture above with the white painted model T that we all couldn't decide if it was the band sunn's gear or not......
it may in fact be a picture of the gear used by the band zoroaster from atlanta.  i came accross a discussion of that band and someone posted a pic of their gear.  it was that exact picture as the one posted above.   they have been known to use very many sunn amps and cabs.  the only problem i have with it being their gear is that they (zoroaster) also usually use a green matamp cab and head as well as an orange cab and head.   i don't see those in the picture above. 
still a mystery until we can get a definate answer.

i checked my Sunn(the band) folder and found a few pix of Stephen O'Malley using a white painted Model T in the early days-he may have sold it down the line, since it hasnt been on his stage for a long time.
http://www.southern.com/southern/gallery/index.php?detail=1279
s
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:37:13 pm by stanner »
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline ogunhe

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »
Always the same argument everywhere...on every board...
"Yeah The Beatles suck because they can't compare to Vivaldi's virtuosity."
"SunnO))) sucks because they can't compare to Led Zepplin."

It's not a matter of what THEY "can't" do...it's a matter of the inabilty of select observers to appreciate music as an art form.
Be it vehicle for principle, expression and/or any variation between.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2008, 07:26:52 pm »
Exsqueeze me?
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2008, 11:18:19 am »
Always the same argument everywhere...on every board...
"Yeah The Beatles suck because they can't compare to Vivaldi's virtuosity."
"SunnO))) sucks because they can't compare to Led Zepplin."

It's not a matter of what THEY "can't" do...it's a matter of the inabilty of select observers to appreciate music as an art form.
Be it vehicle for principle, expression and/or any variation between.

Interesting analogy, however I think it struggles under some very obvious conceptual flaws;

Music is an art form and is recognized as such by the majority of persons.
IMO even bad music is an art form.
Perhaps noise is considered an art form in certain circles, but it’s not music anymore than the sound of a 747 taking off, or the sound of rush hour traffic, or the sound of a forklift falling off of a loading dock is.
IMO The Beatles, Zep and Vivaldi et al are/were artists. Simple or complex, good or bad, love it or hate it, the aforementioned created and/or performed “music”; a widely recognized art form.

IMO the band “Sunn” makes noise and attempts to package this noise as music. From the albeit small sampling I’ve tasted there seems to be a rudimentary musical structure at times, but it appears the main thrust is uncontrolled harmonic (and sometimes even discordant) audio distortion, relegating their “art” to the realm of  “noise”.

So, art form? Debatable. Music? Maybe slightly more musical than a passing freight train, but not music by definition. I wish the members of the entire “drone” culture continued success, if they are indeed "successful"; but let’s call it for what it is, and not try to draw any analogy between the band Sunn and Vivaldi for Pete’s sake.

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn’t patronize the genre, if someone wants to pay to listen to a recording of an empty 50 gallon drum rolling down a staircase or audio of NHTSA automobile crash tests and call it an art form that's fine by me.
In fact, all of this is just dandy in my book! As I’ve stated, as a capitalist myself I appreciate the fact that they can market their product for financial gain. I won’t go into my thoughts (again) about how they accomplish this feat, what demographic they have seemingly tapped into, it doesn’t matter. More power to them, I wish every struggling “musician wanna be” could lock into a sustaining revenue stream, it might ease the tax burden on us working stiffs a little bit!

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2008, 01:08:55 am »
IMO the band “Sunn” makes noise and attempts to package this noise as music. From the albeit small sampling I’ve tasted there seems to be a rudimentary musical structure at times, but it appears the main thrust is uncontrolled harmonic (and sometimes even discordant) audio distortion, relegating their “art” to the realm of  “noise”.

I believe it's been mentioned here, but they(Sunn) actually have composed the pieces they play.  It might just seem like meandering noise, but you could also say AC/DC have been doing performance art by releasing the same album to an apparently oblivious public audience.

That being said, I think there should be a few more bands being posted on here.  Can't the "Sunn: Art, Crap, or Music" thing be moved to it's own thread?
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Lokibleed

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2008, 05:40:25 pm »
Agreed.

Offline Reeps

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2008, 02:23:38 pm »
Some of these have been mentioned but these are some great pictures of great current bands using sunn amps:
(images are linked to the entire photo set - I found all of these on www.returntothepit.com)

Cave In | http://www.myspace.com/cavein
Model T and 2 1200s I believe
Live video, 2 sunn amps used: Youtube - Cave In - Big Riff

ISIS | http://www.myspace.com/sgnl05
Model T

Disappearer | http://www.myspace.com/disappearerus
Model T

Akimbo | http://www.myspace.com/akimbo
coliseum bass?

Clouds | http://www.myspace.com/cloudsrock
Same guitarist as Cave In, I think they both use 1200s's but one is 7 knob version.
check out this video as well: Youtube - Clouds - Empires in Basements

Zozobra | http://www.myspace.com/zozobra505
Same guitarists as Clouds, but a MUCH heavier sound, same amps!
check out this video as well: Youtube - Zozobra - Silverghost live (audio only - 2 1200s's panned left and right!!)