Author Topic: HELP! Stinky amp! Don T.?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline chris krap

HELP! Stinky amp! Don T.?
« on: February 16, 2001, 09:23:00 am »
Help me.  I got this Enforcer amp and it kicks tail, seriously, very loud and warm sounding.  The problem is, it stinks so bad when I turn it on, I can barely stand to be in the same room.  It's like a burning plastic smell, very toxic smelling.  It gives me a headache, the smell soaks into my clothes, very nausiating.  Is this a tube problem?  Ever heard of anything like this before?  Help...Yick.

Offline Don T.

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2001, 09:35:00 am »
Hello Mr Krap:
 Sounds (smells) like a cooking capacitor or transformer. Either that or some cat pissed in the back of the amp. Try sniffing around after the amp has cooled and aired out, you might be able to locate the source. If it's too faint then run the amp a short period until you can smell it. If it's a capacitor the amp will fail soon. Of course there could be some of the packaging that got melted to the tubes when they got hot.
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline chris krap

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2001, 04:18:00 pm »
This may sound a little silly.  Where is the capacitor located?  At first I was thinking that some polystyrene could have gotten melted onto the tubes, but, man, this is a STRONG smell, very stinky, plastic smell.  Thanks for you help again, Don.  I'll see what I can do.