Author Topic: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps  (Read 79283 times)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 01:57:20 pm »
Let me make sure I've got this right; People actually pay to listen to one note for 3+ minutes?

In your honor... I have written a song I call "A Tribute to F#".

Only problem is the vocals... seems I can't find a singer that can hold "OHM" for 23 minutes 49 seconds.  :-D

Offline justinmilwaukee

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 06:45:30 am »
"and yes, those two are very talented guitar players.  that's why it is sad that they waste their time doing this. but at the same time, they probably make more money with the band SUNN than any of the good bands they were a part of."

this mentality is whats wrong with music today. not what they are doing. who is to say that they are wasting their time? they obviously are not because they have found huge success doing what they do. you not liking it doesnt make it a waste of time. by saying that, you are spitting in the face of an entire genre. drone music isnt necessarily about who can play their instrument the most technically sound. its about having the capability to create an atmosphere through sound that will captivate your listeners. it is the same with any instrumental music. being able to convey an emotion using only instruments and no words isnt necessarily the easiest thing to do. (And yes i know they have vocals on some of their stuff, but for the most part it is instrumental, i think you get my point.) i listen to drone while im working on projects on the computer, fixing my bike, or doing some sort of activity that just requires some sort of musical ambience, but nothing that is going to distract me from what i am doing. i find it pretty disrespectful to them saying that they are doing this strictly to make money.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 08:27:46 am »
"and yes, those two are very talented guitar players.  that's why it is sad that they waste their time doing this. but at the same time, they probably make more money with the band SUNN than any of the good bands they were a part of."

this mentality is whats wrong with music today. not what they are doing. who is to say that they are wasting their time? they obviously are not because they have found huge success doing what they do. you not liking it doesnt make it a waste of time. by saying that, you are spitting in the face of an entire genre. drone music isnt necessarily about who can play their instrument the most technically sound. its about having the capability to create an atmosphere through sound that will captivate your listeners. it is the same with any instrumental music. being able to convey an emotion using only instruments and no words isnt necessarily the easiest thing to do. (And yes i know they have vocals on some of their stuff, but for the most part it is instrumental, i think you get my point.) i listen to drone while im working on projects on the computer, fixing my bike, or doing some sort of activity that just requires some sort of musical ambience, but nothing that is going to distract me from what i am doing. i find it pretty disrespectful to them saying that they are doing this strictly to make money.

I can bash around the silverware in my kitchen drawer. I can make a CD out of it.

If I can find an old radio set, I can make a CD out of the white noise between stations, maybe on one of the shortwave stations.

I can call it a "Random" genre or come up with a few nouns used as adjectives in front of other nouns used as adjectives. I can find some people that will like it. I can call it music. I can claim it is the ultimate expression any human being can find - and that's why I make it.

Oh no, not for the money!! But I will never refuse a check and I will laugh myself silly all the way to the bank.

You are correct in pointing out that it is a mentality thing.

Offline kineticturtle

• Falls Protocol
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:54 am »
I love drone, and quite a few drone related musics. Drone is no less valid than anything played on a didgeridoo.
I find it to be an expressive and meaningful art form, and because people like me exist, it is valid as an art form.

I mean hey, I listen to a lot of music that pisses a lot of people off; Philip Glass, Merzbow; my roommate refuses to listen to Radiohead because they're "too chill", and this girl I used to know hated Tokyo Jihen because she "wasn't into the little Japanese girl thing".

In short, fine, you don't like it, fine, you think it's "too easy" to play, but don't insult it, because in doing so you are insulting your peers on this board, and your peers as musicians in general.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 12:01:21 pm »
In short, fine, you don't like it, fine, you think it's "too easy" to play, but don't insult it, because in doing so you are insulting your peers on this board, and your peers as musicians in general.

Illogical - conclusion cannot be derived from the premise.

Offline djc

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »
JoeArthur, are you an english major,
or just really smart at a lot of things. 

you seem to know music, tech, economics and language!  good on ya!

Offline cromag

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 02:35:43 pm »
i never said that i'm sure the only reason they continue with the band is because they make so much money.

i said that they probably make MORE money with the band "sunn" than any of the other bands thay have been a part of.   and that to me is sad.   i like the other bands better.   i do not care for "sunn".  you may.  fantastic.  if you want to listen to them, more power to you.  i will choose not to.  perhaps i don't "get it".  what ever "get" is.  i respect that they can pull off the recordings in a live setting.   absolutely.   that may even be harder that actually playing typical types of songs.   

do i discredit the entire genre by disliking them?  no.  that is a pretty funny statement.  do i then in turn look down at my peers on this board because i dislike them and say so?  what?   that is rediculous.  that is not only funny but so stupid. 

do you like every band ever?  i mean ever.  have you ever turned off the radio when a song by a band that you don't care for comes on?   probably.   have you ever then said to someone "man, that band is terrible.  i can't believe some of the crap they actually play on the radio."  probably.  do you have the right to think and say that?  yes.  do i have the right to say i don't understand what all the hype is about the band? yes.   do i then have the right to say to people that i don't like them.  you bet your sweet ass.

and one last thing.  would i ever tell them to their face that i didn't like them?  yes.  i have.  i actually told greg anderson that i was a huge fan of his former band goatsnake and didn't care for sunn that much.  and i will say he was a true professional in that he appreciated my OPINION and HONESTY without trying to, and i qoute, "be all up on him trying to suck his dick".

Offline cromag

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »
just something i ran accross on another forum i like to frequent.  hmmm, interesting......  too bad this isn't true about other very cool sites.

"thegearpage.net
All of my posts were deleted and all of the responses to my posts were also deleted. Too many people are incapable of being okay with disagreeing with someone and talking it out. I guess I should have reported it to a moderator but that's not my s t y l e. If it's a community of musicians then disagreements need to be open, community discussions. That's one great thing about this place is that you let everything fly and nobody gets hurt, the page doesn't crash and burn and in a day or two everyone moves on but people were allowed to say what they wanted to. I hate boards that are over moderated."

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:38 pm »
While I admit to being appreciative of the bands ability to sell the sonic equivalent of snake oil, I would think if the band Sunn made any real money, the very real legal dept. at FMI would end up with it.
Their name is about as blatant a copyright infringement as I’ve seen.
If you think that FMI doesn’t purse its copy rights; ask G&L about it.
I suspect that in terms of actual money, they don’t generate enough of it for them to waste litigation on.

Also, while I will vehemently defend the bands right to record and sell it, I still find it hard to believe that anyone wastes money on this aural miasma.
Again, I think I can see the appeal for a beginning player to try to emulate this..."art form", but I would suspect that psychologically it must mainly appeal to post pubescent males as an expression of their inherent apostasy.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »
Again, I think I can see the appeal for a beginning player to try to emulate this..."art form", but I would suspect that psychologically it must mainly appeal to post pubescent males as an expression of their inherent apostasy.

Aw man... Those thoughts are just simply... just so... so...

depressing.

EDIT: I can't believe you actually said "art form".

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »
I dunno....I have sat with my 17 year old son and listened to Jimi, Stevie, Al, Wes, Jango, John, Carlos, Jeff and many, many other of the greats of yesterday and today. And I have sat and listened (or did a darn good job of faking it) to some of the stuff he and his friends listen to, I don't even know the names....

He does not deny the greatness of the (my) greats...but he likes the other stuff too. He says it is just different and when you get into it you can begin to appreciate the subtleties of the thrash, crash and bash. Listening to him practice, I can hear the subtleties...but then he plays it 20 times faster and it is all lost on my ears and head. Yet....in the past couple of years...I must admit that my appreciation of some of it has increased...and….oh no...I actually like some of it. Still don't know the darn names... And for him, it is not art...far from it. For him it is something to do, makes him feel good...and the girls like it too. Come to think of it...that was the way I felt about it when I was 17....was I ever 17...oh yeah....a long time ago.

Point being...an amazing thing this music...to be able to touch so many people in so many ways with so many different sounds, progressions, speeds...truly a wonderful thing...and a gift in my eyes. Not to mention being something he and I can still sit down and talk about, argue about, marvel at together. That in itself is a gift.

Offline cromag

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 04:21:53 pm »
"Again, I think I can see the appeal for a beginning player to try to emulate this..."art form", but I would suspect that psychologically it must mainly appeal to post pubescent males as an expression of their inherent apostasy."

ouch.   i was trying to be nice and not cause any trouble since i am kinda new here.  however, i do agree totally and actually couldn't have said it better myself.    a wordsmith i am not.   i am more of the "that sh*t sucks and you're dumb for liking it" kinda guy.  nicely put.   kudos.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »
"Again, I think I can see the appeal for a beginning player to try to emulate this..."art form", but I would suspect that psychologically it must mainly appeal to post pubescent males as an expression of their inherent apostasy."

ouch.   i was trying to be nice and not cause any trouble since i am kinda new here.  however, i do agree totally and actually couldn't have said it better myself.    a wordsmith i am not.   i am more of the "that sh*t sucks and you're dumb for liking it" kinda guy.  nicely put.   kudos.

:?

Well, based on what you posted as a response, do you know what EdBass said or in what contex...

:?

Neva mind.

:-D

Hmm... pssstt... claim "Brain Freeze".

:-o

Offline cromag

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 06:11:26 pm »
well, i suppose ed meant that he thinks the appeal that draws people to the band is because they are such a departure from the norm that the consumer would feel "cool" or hip to be "in to" them.   and he can't really understand why someone would like them since he doesn't really care for that type of music.   i could be waaaaaaay off. 

and yes, i have wondered about the name rip off per say.  it's more of an homage to the type of amps the guys love.  even though it really isn't.   they (the band sunn) started doing what they do as an homage to the band "earth".   not the pre- black sabbath earth.    but another drone band from seattle.  sunn was originally called "mars".  earth / mars.   then they changed to sunn because of the amps and because as to put it in to their words "the earth revolves around the sunn".  poking fun.  the band earth even had a record titled "sunn amps and smashed guitars live".  so everything is kind of tonque in cheek and a play on words / names.