Author Topic: Silverface Coliseum Bass  (Read 1723 times)

Offline xnogoodjackx

Silverface Coliseum Bass
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:16 am »
Hey guys, just got this amp recently and was just wanting some info on it. Just how many watts, what year it is possibly, etc. I don't know a whole lot about it seeing as I bought it on a whim. Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Silverface Coliseum Bass
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:56:31 am »
I suggest you try the catalog thread. That should answer most of your initial questions. Even a look at the back of the amp might help, and a picture of the back should be helpful.

The front of the amp looks odd to me. IIRC, there ought to be black stripes running horizontally at the top and bottom of the face. like this:
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Coliseum/1-Coliseum-front.jpg
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
That does look odd, maybe a very early version? As Isaac says, a pic of the back would probably help.

Offline Rancho Rauncho

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »
According to the catalog thread, 1970 was the year the earliest Coliseums were rolled out, so I'm guessing this was one of those, or at least a proto-type? Check this out...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/derek-and-the-dominos-live-at-the-fillmore.1234602/
You can enlarge that live shot of the band. I believe that the time window for D&D's touring was autumn, 1970. I remember a promo flyer with a pic from a different gig that showed a Sunn 4x12 behind Clapton. As a kid in the midwest, I didn't see Coliseums in the stores until spring of '71, and they had the black stripes. At that point, it seemed like they were everywhere. I was amused by some of the ignorant comments on that Gear Page thread.