Author Topic: Sunn Sceptre 4X12 Ohm questions  (Read 3852 times)

Offline tbelling

Sunn Sceptre 4X12 Ohm questions
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:46:46 am »
I have a 70 Sceptre (I think) with the staggered 4X12 cabinet (In NM condition with the original cover I might add) and was wondering what the standard ohm rating on the cabinet would be from the factory. The amp has a 4 and 8 ohm output and I was wondering which was correct for the cab. Don't want to blow anything up. Here are some pics to drool over:

Might be interested in selling the unit. Any offers?

Offline noel

Re: Sunn Sceptre 4X12 Ohm questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:03:22 pm »
I don't know off the top of my head but the easiest and most reliable way to tell is to open up the back of the cab and look.  Just unscrew the back panel and look at whether the speakers are in series or parallel.  I can't remember what resistance the speakers are but it'll say 4 ohms for instance on the back of the speaker.  Then if both of the 4 ohm speakers are in series then the cabinet is 8 ohms etc.  After you open it up if you still can't figure it out just post on here again and someone will tell you.  Good luck.

Offline cromag

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »
plug a speaker cable in to the cabinet.   then touch the open end of the speaker cable with a multi-meter.

Offline tbelling

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:38 pm »
Thanks a lot cromag, what a brilliant idea. With a speaker cable plugged in we are reading in at 8.5ohms so I guess the 8ohm output on the sceptre is the one for me. Anybody interesting in buying the rig?

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »
Shoot me a price for that cab if you're interested in splitting the rig up.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:14 am »
  Hi there,if you're reading 8.5 ohms on your meter (DC),then it's not an 8 ohm impeadance,it's most likely 16 ohms and your spkrs. are a little worn out.Normally a 16 ohm spkr.reads around 11 ohms DC and an 8 ohm spkr.reads around 5.6 ohms. Sounds like a 16 ohm cab with worn spkrs. to me. You might want to take the back off and check them out a little more. Good luck,Mel.