Author Topic: seeking advice-->ebay horror story  (Read 13849 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: seeking advice-->ebay horror story
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 08:01:45 am »
I don't think the UPS claim with go anywhere, UPS claims NEVER seem to go anywhere. One look at that largely intact box, and I'm afraid their involment in this debacle will be over. If I have to ship UPS, I don't even pay for insurance anymore, they are horrible
The only shipper I've ever had a claim satisfied by is BAX Global.

I can appreciate your feelings about that Model T, and I’m sure everyone on this forum can relate to your heartache, but I think if you can get a full refund that would be your best course of action.
That amp took a serious hit, like out of an aircraft to the tarmac unabated. Most of us have dropped amps, it's kind of part of the music experience if you play long enough.
This one was more than dropped. Not just wood screws stripped, but wood shattered, not a bent chassis corner, the entire length of the chassis is bowed.
I doubt it will, or even could ever be the same sonically.
And cosmetically, well I think that answer is obvious by the pictures.
It looks like the trannies are still attached (amazingly), but I can’t imagine there is a solder joint left that I would trust. Transformers are pretty durable, but enough G forces can actually disrupt the flux pattern of an electromagnet, not to mention all of those delicate little windings.

It was apparently a good deal at $1050, but now it's regretfully, but most likely, just a pile of broken parts.

Model T’s come and go regularly on eBay, and you are certainly due some good Karma! I'd cut my losses and give it another try on another day.

Offline beemrmax

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 11:39:23 am »
Sage words indeed Ed, which seem to resonate the feelings echoing in my head, pun intended.

I think I've been trying to make this clear, to help dispel the fantasy... wake up from the dream, or the nightmare as it may be... Also, and very relevant here is the point of throwing good $$$ after bad.. What if the amp is even more extensively damaged and never does sound right, even after several hundred $$$'s worth of "restoration"? More on this later...

However, these are just personal opinion, and we are all different aren't we?

I, personally, would have been through with the deal the instant I saw the amp. Finito! But again, that's just me...

I have to agree with Ed about UPS Claims, not even worth filing IMO, but... what's even weirder was the almost immediate assurance that you received (from who?) that they were paying on this, and WHY would they pay on this? The only reason for them to pay is to make it right, but are they the ones responsible? They're not going to pay a dime for someone else's mistake!

Back to this so called "restoration" business... Ok, all vintage gear seems to be going through the roof and it's important to buy stuff that's not going to be a problem down the road. $1050 is a lot of $$ for anyone of us, and although at the time it seemed like a good deal, you're making a huge mistake now to continue on with this one. That's the "biggest mistake" I mentioned previously.

There will be others, and trust me, $1475 (or whatever) spent on a nice straight, original unit will make a pretty good difference down the road...

A friend of mine bought a 57 LP Junior for $2000 in 2000. So he paid $2k for it seven years ago at a guitar show in Seattle that we went to together. The guitar was far from mint, but it was totally original, with the original case, a totally cool unmolested original guitar!!! There was another one there for $1400 that had been routed for a humbucker, had a P-90 reinstalled (not the original one, of course), changed tuners and some non original case. After some deliberation, he paid the extra for the original one and never regretted it.

He was pretty blown away when he sold it this year to pay some bills off, and got $19,000 for it!!!!! He was offered $3k just for the case! Had he "saved" $600 and bought the other one, he might have sold it now for $9k, maybe... and that's a big maybe. He also just sold a 69 Marshall Plexi half stack for $4500, within a few hours of posting it on Craigslist, the buyer drove 600 mile round trip to Seattle to get it and was damn lucky someone one else didn't beat him to it on the way there... Again, the amp was totally unmolested, all original "Mustard Caps" and Mullard EL34 tubes. Wasn't that long ago that he paid $1700 for that amp but it was in "no excuses" condition, no mods (which have always been “reversed” of course..), extra holes drilled in the back or other BS.

The prices have gotten so outrageous on this stuff lately that the guys who have the $$$ to spend on stuff like this aren't going to waste it on gear with issues, the potential for appreciation is too great and originality makes all the difference.

About this "restoration", even not dealing with the financial aspect, can it ever make the amp what is was again? I was in a car club for 10 years, and I'd take a tattered original car over a "restored" one any day of the week. They are never done right, but the biggest thing of all is that the car has lost something... The original patina, the look of something that's been around 40 years and has stories to tell...

Unfortunately, your amp (and I would seriously consider making it not "your amp" anymore) has lost something that can never be replaced, its originality... and sadly, that can never be brought back.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:55:52 pm by beemrmax »

Offline Mr.Golden

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 06:02:38 pm »
The PayPal claim has been escalated after three futile attempts at contact with the seller. I am confident I will win in either regard.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

I'll report the end result.

Until then...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:16:08 pm by Mr.Golden »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »
Best of luck, and may the amp gods smile down upon you!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 08:26:14 pm »
Good luck.

Offline beemrmax

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:57 pm »
You're doing the right thing now, demand a full refund, and the PayPal claim should (?) get you reimbursed. Let the seller deal with the supposed UPS claim, that should not be part of your experience in this already miserable transaction. I really hope it turns out right in your favor!

PS If this was on your CC, reverse the charges at once, although you may want to warn PayPal that you'll do this if they don't do the right thing for you...

Offline Mr.Golden

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 08:59:07 pm »
I would like to ask anyone reading this thread to think positive for me going into tomorrow, Thursday April 5, 2007. It is quite possibly the day PayPal will decide the outcome of this long-winded mess. Hopefully in my favour! Here's hoping.....

Thanks again everyone !!!

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 07:38:33 am »
Hi,

good luck man! I got an old 350B from NY (living in Germany) and the amp was packed really well - still the powertrafo went off the chassis - well nothing serious in the end. But i was really worried all the time till i got the amp- so I  really do understand U  ---what a f**** nightmare that is!
Well, anyway, I mean, you still got some parts you may need in the future for YOUR NEW AMP! :wink:

Keep my fingers crossed

Oliver
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline MrCreosote

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 09:51:44 am »
A few comments, some from experience:

1) UPS will not pay the insurance since bad packing.

2) The Seller may not be a totally evil person - the first time I shipped a tube tuner, it never occurred to me that I should have removed the tubes - they all came out but none got broken (how lucky could I get?)

3)  I don't know about Paypal coming to your aid, but the eBay $200 insurance is quite a joke.  For one thing, you CANNOT get the item repaired UNTIL the claim is resolved - this can take many months. 

4)  This is speculation, but based on mindset of 3), I would not expect Paypal to be acting in your best interest because the person who gave them the money was a CC company - not you.

5) I know that people complain about "chargebacks" when getting paid w/Paypal.  This is when someone disputes the credit card charge for something they bought.  I would definitely NOT let so much time pass that I could not file a CC dispute.  I had a dispute with an item from an order with a NY camera store, 1 item out of 4, the store simply didn't respond to the CC dispute so the CC gave me the WHOLE ORDER FOR FREE. 

6) What reimbursement you demand from the Seller might be reduced a little (if you feel like trying to make it as attractive as possible to the Seller) because you were buying an amp with used tubes and now you are going to have one with new tubes.

7) Seriously, with eBay, you are ahead of the curve is you at least GET SOMETHING for your money.  The guy could have sent you a box of rocks.  But too bad it was a thousand dollar purchase.

I love-hate eBay,
Tom

Offline made by hand

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 05:34:05 pm »
just saw the two pics on the damaged sunn amps...my heart goes out to the both of you..being a sunn guy, two cruise missles with the name stupid painted on the nose of each one are on their way to each of these guys house...what a shame..

Offline Mr.Golden

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2007, 08:24:31 pm »
SUCCESS !!!

It was UPS's fault after all and if the seller had not mailed in any repair estimates, it would have been a full refund. I'm not complaining though, this amp is getting the treatment it needs. The transformers are okay! This broken down amp has some pretty bad war wounds but ultimately, it's the tone I'm after and that is definitely retrievable. I'm somewhat elated at the idea of how good it will sound.

I'll be returning it to stock with top quality components to start out with. It'll be used for both guitar and bass.

Once more, if anyone would like to share any info on first gen. model T mods, I would be very interested in the results found with said changes.

I will post pics of the restored vintage 1973 1st gen. model T in the coming weeks.

Thank you all for your time!

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 08:00:17 pm »
Happy news that, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 07:07:54 am »
Hi,

good news!  :-D A real horrorstory that was.... :evil:

would be gald to hear your amp on myspace!

greetings

oli
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 04:08:08 am »
Hi Mr. Golden!

What happend to your Model T? Is it alive agian?

Greetings

Oliver