Author Topic: Sunn 4X12, question.  (Read 4571 times)

Offline wickedkingwickr

Sunn 4X12, question.
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:07:17 am »
I am not sure as of yet, but I am debating selling this.  Its a good cab, I just dont really use it.  4X12, diagonal pattern. Came without speakers, I put 75 watt celestions in there.  Sounds great & solid.  Grill cloth has a few rips. Any idea of base price for something like this? I know its a broad question.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:50:28 pm by wickedkingwickr »

Offline Happy Face

Re: Sunn 4X12, question.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:40 pm »
Depends on where you are selling it, to some extent. Up here in Maine you'd be lucky to get $350 for it. But in other markets it might fetch $450. I dunno, the larger cabs just aren't sought after so much anymore.

But let's see what the others have to say.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:39 pm »
I am not sure as of yet, but I am debating selling this.  Its a good cab, I just dont really use it.  4X12, diagonal pattern. Came without speakers, I put 75 watt celestions in there.  Sounds great & solid.  Grill cloth has a few rips. Any idea of base price for something like this? I know its a broad question. 

How much would you take for it? What figure would you absolutely say "yes" to?

Depends on where you are selling it, to some extent. Up here in Maine you'd be lucky to get $350 for it. But in other markets it might fetch $450. I dunno, the larger cabs just aren't sought after so much anymore.

But let's see what the others have to say.

Are you offering, or do you know someone in your area who would actually pay $350 for it? Maybe you two can put a deal together here and help wickedkingwickr get rid of his Sceptre cab!

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:16:00 pm »
Ed, i was just commenting on what I've seen some Sunn gear go for around here. This is a pretty poor area so gear, in general, sells cheap. But it sounds like you think I am too optimistic?

(I'm happy with my modded Coliseum cab)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:25:39 am »
Ed, i was just commenting on what I've seen some Sunn gear go for around here. This is a pretty poor area so gear, in general, sells cheap. But it sounds like you think I am too optimistic?

(I'm happy with my modded Coliseum cab)

I don't "think" when it comes to how much someone else should buy or sell a piece of gear for.
I'll report actual sale prices, or make an offer that I'll back up with cash, but I'm not egotistical enough to think that I have a crystal ball that can determine what a piece of vintage gear is worth without hard data to back it up. The market is way too volatile for idle speculation IMO, particularly when it comes to advising others about pricing.

Here's what little I know about current Sceptre value;
Head and cab sold on 10/30 for $900
Head only sold on 11/10 for $500
190L reverb head (SS rectified, functionally the same head) sold on 11/02 for $435
IMO the value of a Sceptre cab is tied into its originality when paired with a Sceptre amp, and again IMO, along those lines the original AlNiCo drivers would add to that value. Shipping can also be a deal breaker with Sunn speaker cabs, and can hinder national response.
If I were personally trying to liquidate a headless Sceptre cab with Celestion drivers, I would list the drivers and empty cab separately on eBay, and also list both on Craig’s List with a top dollar sale price followed by “or best offer”.   

I'll regularly take a gamble with my own money, I've hit home runs and I've been massacred. But I believe that anyone who claims to have the "expertise" to advise others on what they should sell or buy for without being willing to put their "money where their mouth is" is delusional.

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 07:36:39 pm »
But I believe that anyone who claims to have the "expertise" to advise others on what they should sell or buy for without being willing to put their "money where their mouth is" is delusional.

??

Offline wickedkingwickr

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:34 am »
Thanks man. I actually decided to keep it.  I just got a Sunn 6X12 and well... it sounds amazing with the 4x12...

Offline scotzoid

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
Now that's the ticket; best way to deal with vintage equipment is to have fun with it.

And I got/understood everything that Ed said. I've been here just long enough to know that if there's an "expert" on vintage gear, EdBass is the MAN...& he seems to be saying there's no value to anything until *somebody* puts some money on the table...

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:25:11 pm »
there's no value to anything until *somebody* puts some money on the table...

With that rule you would limit the input you get to dealers. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not.

But in this case, the boss prolly figured he was dealing with someone who didn't have a clue. Maybe he was right!!  :-)   

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »
there's no value to anything until *somebody* puts some money on the table...

No monetary value anyway. Like most people, I have some things that I would be extremely reluctant to part with for any amount of cash.

With that rule you would limit the input you get to dealers. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not.     

I think the most useful input is from actual buyers, not dealers. eBay completed auctions are probably the best barometer of the retail ACV (Actual Cash Value) of anything, by virtue of it's open auction nature and incredible global reach.

As far as me being an expert, well I don’t know if it’s really possible to be an expert. The used gear market is volatile at best, and while as with most things pricing seems to follow general economic trends, the small overall percentage of the total used gear market that Sunn represents makes it even more difficult to get a handle on.
Also, while I will report transaction prices I come across on any vintage gear, as far as what I’ll actually pay for something is dependent on my personal taste. For example I’m very tube oriented, so I won’t pay up for transistor gear but will sometimes overpay for a nice tube amp, bass oriented so I’d be more likely to pony up for a bass cab over a guitar cab, etc. I’ll step up large on a nice JBL loaded 115 or 215 cab, but won’t buy a 610 or 412 unless I can flat steal it. I think an “expert” would be less partial and be more even handed with purchases, focus more on the potential profit and not be as swayed by personal likes.