Author Topic: Sunn Coliseum Lead amp  (Read 4086 times)

Offline dfarwig

Sunn Coliseum Lead amp
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »
Hey guys,
dfarwig here and I hope someone out there can help me out.
I have a Sunn Coliseum Lead amp with a serial #000469
Can anyone tell me when this was built and how much it's worth on todays  market?
Thanks,
dfarwig

Offline warandhairstyle

Re: Sunn Coliseum Lead amp
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
This one appears to be SN 000256 and sold on ebay for $405.  PM me if you're selling, I might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Coliseum-lead-amp-head-Entwistle-/200582815327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb3aade5f
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »
DISCLAIMER: SUNN SERIAL NUMBERS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH DATING. THE BEST WAY TO GET THE DATE ON A SUNN AMP IS TO PULL THE AMP CHASSIS OUT AND LOOK FOR A DATED INSPECTION STICKER OR A DATE GREASE PENCILED ONTO THE BARE WOOD OF THE ENCLOSURE OR SOMEWHERE ON THE CHASSIS WHERE THIS IS BARE METAL.

And in "today's market" a silver face solid state Coliseum is worth about $300-$800 depending on the model and condition.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:45:51 pm »
DISCLAIMER: SUNN SERIAL NUMBERS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH DATING. THE BEST WAY TO GET THE DATE ON A SUNN AMP IS TO PULL THE AMP CHASSIS OUT AND LOOK FOR A DATED INSPECTION STICKER OR A DATE GREASE PENCILED ONTO THE BARE WOOD OF THE ENCLOSURE OR SOMEWHERE ON THE CHASSIS WHERE THIS IS BARE METAL.

And in "today's market" a silver face solid state Coliseum is worth about $300-$800 depending on the model and condition.

Do you have verified sales, such as warandhairstyle's completed eBay auction to substantiate those numbers? Or is $300-$800 just a number you are guessing at? I think it's a good idea to keep price speculation "real", a lot of us keep track of actual sale prices, which is really the only way to accurately judge market value when real money is being discussed.
If you boil it down, a used item is "worth" exactly what someone paid for, no more, no less, and guessing at "value" when there is no corroborating evidence is misleading, and generally inflationary.
And... none of us want to overpay for an item based on someones unsubstantiated "guesswork", or want to short sell a nice piece of gear for the same reason.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:38:10 pm »
Yes. And $300-$800 is the range people seem to be willing to pay for the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810