Author Topic: NOS Tubes for Sunn Solarus....  (Read 14875 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: NOS Tubes for Sunn Solarus....
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 02:04:57 am »
so whats the final verdict on this statement: "all of the Sunn heads taking two 6550 tubes were actually the same amp"...I realize that Sunn went to a S.S rectifier (1972?) and the early combos apparently were very different in circutry using EL34s, but in regards to the late 60s-early 70s head models using two 6550 tubes...

Yes, except for tone stack and effects variations; i.e. the 100S has a rotary "contour"  instead of the high and low boost switches on the 200S, most guitar amps had reverb and tremelo available etc. The output stages are as identical as production/part supply issues and hand wiring would allow.
I wouldn't say the EL34 amps are "very different", other than some of the values they are very similar.
Pretty much Dynaco clones in both instances.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 08:47:25 am »
Obviously not true. There are three-control, four-control and seven-control Sunn amps, all using 6550's. However, I think the power amp section is identical in all of them.

Note that Ed and I are saying pretty much the same thing.

OTOH, in several cases, the I version and the II version had identical preamp and tone-shaping circuits, but different power amps.
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 09:40:45 am »
Those high priced tubes on Ebay did not sell.

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 03:06:29 am »
its true those tubes didnt sell, but if you were to try to buy those Genelex KT88 tubes in that condition thats what you'd pay...a pair of Genelex EL84s go for a 1K!...thats nuts! ...over the years I've noticed there is definitely a 'flucuating' tube market...if there was a buyer in need and in the know, those KT88 tubes would've been gone...I personally know a few people where money is NO object but they want the VERY best tone and will pay those prices...thats whats basically driving the high $$$ market...

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 05:22:56 pm »
So true, as in the car world...if ya got the dough...and you want it.....buy it.

Some would say the same aout me I am sure....just not at the 1K range....yet.

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 03:10:13 am »
You also have the basic rule of supply in demand thats a major factor too...some guy on ebay listed 15 to 20 pairs and quads of nice Tung Sol 6550 tubes all at once...as a result a friend of mine got a pair for 99 bucks and most of them went for around 200 a pair...yet a times when there are NO Tung Sol 6550s to be found they can get pretty high...I've seen a pair go for $500+ and thats just too high to me...I'm NOT one of those 'money is no object' people...I'm a working musician, so naturally I cant afford the gear I feel I should really have...haha...what tubes are you looking for? Just stuff for your Sunn amp?

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 01:15:43 am »
So remember how those Sunn labeled Genelex KT88 didnt sell for $500?..I guess that was a sale price!....You'd think on 4th of July nobody would be bidding on a pair of Genelex KT88s right? I was thinking I might even snag them really cheap...ha ha ha how foolish of me...$631 is out of my range...sure wish I had some to sell though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150136939700&rd=1&rd=1

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:27 am »
Hmmm, I think I might!

I have a pair in my Sunn Concert PA head.

$631? Interesting...
Isaac