Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 44150 times)

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 02:19:15 pm »
 if you say seeing SUNN is a waste
you might be on the wrong site
a SUNN show is a unique experience-each one a special environment of sound and air movement and feeling
its an exultation of all things
if you have seen each show as the same thing i think yer missing something-like the main purpose of the band(i could be wrong too)
s 8-)
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 11:37:13 am »
I didn't say seeing Sunn the band was a waste. I just said once you've seen them, you've pretty much seen it all. I've heard the same said about many bands (Reverend Horton Heat and Social Distortion come to mind).

I'm a fan of Sunn amps. This site is about Sunn amps, not that band, so I am in the right place. I personally think they sully the name. Too bad they weren't into Crate amps or something...  :wink:

I am shocked Fender hasn't at least done a cease and desist on them for using a name and logo they own.

Offline matthias

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 03:20:56 pm »
As has been stated.
SunnO))) is not doing anything to hurt fender sales. They may actually be reviving an interest in
the Fender owned name.
Another point good to remember is the fact that a cheap amp gets thrown in the trash more often than a Valuable amp.
oh, and Greg has spoke of a pitch shifter.
and blah, blah, blah,
I'm not the one you're thinking of.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 07:48:45 pm »
As has been stated.
SunnO))) is not doing anything to hurt fender sales. They may actually be reviving an interest in
the Fender owned name.
Another point good to remember is the fact that a cheap amp gets thrown in the trash more often than a Valuable amp.
oh, and Greg has spoke of a pitch shifter.
and blah, blah, blah,

It's obvious the band isn't hurting Fender sales, as they discontinued the line in 2001.
It's the fact they're using a name and logo that belongs to someone else.
So, can I call my band "Nike" and use the swoosh?

Offline matthias

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 11:35:24 pm »

the Fender owned name.

It's obvious the band isn't hurting Fender sales, as they discontinued the line in 2001.
It's the fact they're using a name and logo that belongs to someone else.
So, can I call my band "Nike" and use the swoosh?
is nike still producing shoes with the swoosh logo?
if so then probably not.
I'm sure that if Fender thought that they needed a piece of the HUGE HAUL that an Independent band RAKED in.................
I bet that if the band SUNNO))) became a household word, the nirvana of 2010, well they would just reissue the "re-issue" and say hey guys thanks for all the free publicity.
It's not like anyone is confuses a  SUNNO))) record with a SUNNO))) amp.
At one time I had a band that went by the name of a prominent criminal defense lawyer here in town. we also used her tv commercial logo. We did it in HOPES of being sued or at the very least a cease and desist order. Nothing

I'm not the one you're thinking of.

rick.heil

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 05:58:43 am »
jeez, can't even count on a lawyer to be a pain these days.  what is the world coming to?

heh.

I agree, Fender doesn't care because it is free publicity - nobody sees Sunn the band and thinks its an amp (unless you search "Sunn" on ebay, then you get 25 amps and 3,000 records).   

::Readers of weak conscience, leave now!::

I think Fender would be served well by re-activating the Sunn lines and doing some re-issues. But by reissues I mean real reissues, like, to original specs,  to avoid discrepancies like the Model Ts.  I dunno, I just think they're being awful dumb -  they're sitting on a cash cow of a brand name and not using it.  That being said, I'm still happy the glorious Sunn name hasn't been tarnished by completely Fender Designed amps.  that would be a pity - if Fender decided to make a new line without it being designed by the god of Sunn....Conrad himself.

Offline rp

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 08:47:04 pm »
Hmmm, stb (sunno)))the band) are what they are..... underground ambient drone doom. Their are not top 40 and that's
for a good reason...these guys are really showcasing the amps and cabs rather than taking a financial advantage IMO.
I have had the privilege to hear the upcoming collaboration w/Boris, and it sounds great.
I agree some of their older stuff is quite bland, but it is quite intentional, and their sound has improved since white1.
Besides, who cares about fender? They quit producing sunn although and offer little support. I just can't feel sorry for
a corporation that cares more about boosting their own stock over maintaining a great name. Poo.  :-D

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 10:39:25 pm »
have to comment also, the new collaboration Sunno))) made with Boris is an awesome, awesome record.
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline stevecara123

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 08:14:01 am »
saw sunn on saturday at supersonic festival in birmingham! first time i've seen them, they were amazing! justin broadwick was on with them. my inners didn't know what had hit them! fantastic

Offline mcgill85

• http://www.myspace.com/bonesofseabirds
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 12:29:53 pm »
I'm listening to Sunn o))) - Fried Eagle Mind as we speak... I was listening to Black One and Oracle for so long and suddenly I had the urge to put in Altar and I'm glad I did... SOMA's clean guitar tone with the usual subtle chorus and delays is just perfect.  Anyone like KTL or Khanate?
Ibanez MMM1 -> Sunn Model T Reissue -> Boss BR600 ->  o)))

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 06:27:28 pm »
khanate owns sunn 0))) in my opinion. one of my fav bands.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 12:45:43 pm »
Seeing as how he said they both used two Model T's, could anyone describe/explain to me their process in connecting the two amps together?  Are they using one as a slave?  Or are they splitting their signal and just running two amps at the same time?  What kind of methods could one use to connect two model t's together?  As this is something I want to experiment with in the near future...

just a simple y box both going into the linked inputs

the gain they get is a variety of pedals depending on the albums, rat and zvex hard on as said before, and more recently one of the guys has been using a sanford and sonny bluebeard fuzz.

but really, the idea is turn every knob to 10, boost it with an overdrive or fuzz, and tune to drop A. To me, it really sounds like overdriven 6550's.

Offline Volvo)))

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 03:38:21 pm »
Could someone clear up this question for me?

If you look on the Q&A forum and go to the "Best 6550 tubes for the Model T" thread, I raised the question of how Sunn o))) gets their sound out of the Model T's if they're not known for being all that high gain... I'm pretty sure they're getting that sound out of the amps and not some stompbox as they named their band after the amps... so can anyone tell me how I can get the Sunn o))) sound out of an old Model T?  I was thinking about buying one, but I need to know what I'm going to need to do to get that doom sound... I'm playing a Gibson SG standard strung with a bass string on top, tuned down to drop A through a reissue model t and (hopefully soon) an old 74 model t...

anyone?

I use a 72 Model T, MetalMuff (barely...distortion at zero), HolyGrail reverb, and a sustainer,  all mixed with an ESP '67 Flying V w/ single EMG 81 and tuned to c standard. sounds extremely close. the Model T is what makes the definitive sound though, not the effects.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 02:33:42 pm »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

Mike Pinder, the orignal keyboard player from the Moody Blues once said, that he believed that if you slowed down a bass note to it's oscillating frequency, and then played it backwards, it would cause your bowles to move.  Can you just imagin that at a concert with 60,000 people...Holy Shit....literally.