Author Topic: Taking the plunge  (Read 4057 times)

Offline ducatidoc

Taking the plunge
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »
The wireless plunge, that is. After almost 46 years since taking up the bass, I'm ready to ditch the cord. Fools may rush in, but the smart money says check with fellow Sunnistas.    What's anybody using for bass ?  In my case, I  want to connect a 4-string passive 'Wick Star Bass to a '69 2000S. No effects in the chain (yet).

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:03:14 pm »
I spent some time with Nady systems in the 90's, they worked OK and I know that the technology has advanced exponentially in the past couple decades. That said, as far as signal quality the best $2K wireless in the world is inferior to $25 worth of copper.
Wireless is freeing, cable is rock solid.
I was thinking about that as I was watching Jeff Beck dragging his white cable around the stage a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it was white to help his 74 yr old eyes minimize the tripping hazard...  :wink:

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:04:37 am »
I've heard that as well, but I'm not sure my tone is refined enough to notice the difference unless I was recording. I've often wondered the same thing about having multiple effects pedals and signal routers in the chain: surely that's got to have a big degradation effect ?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:31:12 pm »
I always wanted to use a wireless to find out what I sounded like in the back of the room. Can't trust the sound guy when he says, "Oh, you sound fine".

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:25 am »
I always wanted to use a wireless to find out what I sounded like in the back of the room. Can't trust the sound guy when he says, "Oh, you sound fine".

Especially the sound guy that you already had to argue with about using a mic'ed cab rather than a DI off of the bass itself.  :-D

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:17:27 am »
I've heard that as well, but I'm not sure my tone is refined enough to notice the difference unless I was recording. I've often wondered the same thing about having multiple effects pedals and signal routers in the chain: surely that's got to have a big degradation effect ?

I've gotten to the point where my "multiple effects pedals and signal routers" are pretty much my right hand; my only effects are roundwound/flatwound, differing attack, palm muting, pick or fingerstyle, etc.
Bass-quality cable-tube amp-cab-microphone. As with many I've gone full circle, bass into tube amp gradually transitioning into transistors, bi-amping, effects and wireless, back to bass into tube amp.

Moserite into Fender Bassman in 1971 (couldn't afford Sunn)

Active basses wireless into effects board into this rig in the early 90's...

Back to passive US basses and this main gig rig currently...

Still have some big guns if I'm ever feeling froggy, but I never seem to feel froggy anymore...

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:01:32 pm »
I went with the NUX B2. Quick, easy to use, lotsa demo vids on YouTube. Best of all it was cheap, like $100 or so. Sound wise, I can't tell the difference, from a Mogami cable.  (Maybe a miniscule reduction in the highs?)  My 2000S still has the death cap and the 2-prong power cord, so I think it may help to not be hard-wired to it.