Author Topic: 2x15" Bass Cabinet  (Read 23258 times)

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« on: June 09, 2005, 02:44:45 pm »
I recently purchased a Sunn Bass Cabinet with  15" inch speakers. It has a handle on it's side and a silvery screen, and  looks fairly old. It cost me 200 dollars, used. Can anyone tell me anything about this cabinet? I may take it back, it doesn't sound that sweet but it was really cheap. I'm using it with a 350 watt @ 4 ohms, 200 watt at 8 ohms  ampeg head.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 06:59:48 am »
A few questions.

Can you pull off the grill? If so, how is it ported? A single rectangular port across the middle, two circular ports, or a port up the side of the cabinet, causing the drivers to be offset from the centerline?

Is there a nameplate on the back, or just a jack?

Where is the cabinet located?
Isaac

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:51:37 am »
The speakers are covered with a screen that is not removable.

there is just a jack on the back, no nameplate.

I don't understand what you mean with "where is the cabinet located?"

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:44:05 pm »
I don't understand what you mean with "where is the cabinet located?"

California, Arkansas, Bumphuk Egypt...

The fixed grill suggests a late sixties cabinet. What are the dimensions? Can you tell if it has one horizontal port or two circular ones? You should be able to remove the back, if necessary, to find out.
Isaac

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:22:23 pm »
I bought it at a guitar center in Toledo, OH, though I believe that they move their inventory around their locations.

It is about 40 inches tall, 23.5 inches wide, and 14.5 inches deep.

What is a port?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 05:20:21 pm »
Enclosures come in different types. Most common are sealed and ported. Sealed are exactly what you'd expect, sealed. Just a box with one or more drivers in it. Ported boxes have some sort of reflex port which extends the bass. Most are circular cutouts with tubes in them, but some are rectangular. Sunn made both kinds. For what it's worth, most guitar cabinets are sealed or have open backs, while the majority of bass cabinets are ported. There are always exceptions.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:32:05 pm »
Don't be so sure it's a Bass cabinet. Most people can't tell the difference between D-130's and D-140's from the front. D-130's have a smooth cone with a narrow surround, D-140's have a ribbed cone with an accordian surround. To be sure you might have to remove the back. Also make note of the impedance marked on the back of each speaker. In some years Sunn used different impedances or wired speakers in series instead of parallel. It could be a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet.

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 04:52:48 am »
I opened the thing up, it has two JBL speakers and some angled boards in it. The speakers have small circular cutouts in the back of them that are covered by screens. I'll leave the cabinet open to answer any further questions that might lead to the identification of the thing.

Offline Soundmasterg

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 04:29:03 pm »
The angled boards behind the speakers actually LOAD the back of the speaker in such a way that it makes the cabinet louder than it would be otherwise. In the middle of the cabinet, in between those angled boards, is there a rectangular opening that extends the whole width of the cabinet and also extends to the grillecloth? Or is there a round port somewhere in the cabinet that looks like a cardboard tube like you roll wrapping paper on, but much bigger around and much shorter than those? Also, on the back of the JBL speakers, do they say what model they are?

I'm guessing that your cabinet is a late 60's model like what would have come with a 200S head.

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 10:21:12 am »
There is a rectangular opening, and not a tube thing. The speakers are JBL model D140F, 8Ohms.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 03:03:08 pm »
Yes, sounds like the 200S cabinet. I presume the rectangular opening is horizontal, across the width of the cabinet, rather than vertical, along the long dimension, the height. If so, then this is surely the200S cabinet.

Want to sell it?
Isaac

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 09:51:50 pm »
how much is it worth?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 07:47:12 am »
Let's say you got a steal. The JBL drivers themselves are worth more than you paid for the cabinet. I paid $200 for a pair of D140s and thought I was getting a good deal when I thought one was blown. Turned out it wasn't, and I was very happy about that!

The cabinet is more iffy. There are some who will pay big bucks for one of these. Other times they go for ridiculously low prices, as when you bought it for $200. I prefer to buy things for ridiculously low prices, especially when shipping is a big factor, as it would be with this cabinet. If you are interested in selling it, email me, and we can try to work out a deal.
Isaac

2x15" Bass Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 08:55:25 am »
Do you know what wattage the cabinet is supposed to take?