Author Topic: Sunn 215B Cabinet Concern  (Read 1785 times)

Offline jerryjg

Sunn 215B Cabinet Concern
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
Hi. I have an empty Sunn 215B cabinet.

If I load it with high power speakers, say,  300 watts each, and use a Peavey ( bridged Stereo 120/120) 240 Watt Tube amp, how much power will this thing take before the cabinet shakes, rattles rolls, and maybe blows apart?

How loud can I get and how much low end thump , what would be the maximum power you would put through this cabinet/

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn 215B Cabinet Concern
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
I've never owned or played through a 215B. My experience with other Sunn cabinets is that they are solidly made, and I doubt that the cabinet would be the limiting factor for you.

How loud you can get and how much low end thump will depend largely on what drivers you put into the cabinet. In general, those two goals work against each other. The drivers that would give you the most volume tend to have relatively poor low end response, and those that would give you the most low end tend to be less sensitive, yielding less volume per watt input.

Someone more familiar with the cabinet would be better able to help with driver selection than I. In the meantime, what kind of sound are you after?
Isaac

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »
^ Then I should be okay. I'm not after anything earth shattering- in fact a vintage woody tone- probably go with Emi legends. Thnx.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 12:25:32 pm »
used to play a fuzzed out and down tuned bass through a red knob concert bass into a 215B loaded with EV EVM-15B series IIs. never had any issues.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810