Author Topic: model t distortion question  (Read 4104 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
model t distortion question
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:21 am »
i have owned my 2nd gen model t for over a year now and i have done the white/blue wire master volume mod and had it fully checked by a tech everything in the amp is original minis the power tubes and preamp tubes,
the current power tubes are yellow lettered sylvania 6550 made in the usa other markings on tubes are a yellow box with the letters AL in it and up under the box are the letters ABX the tube looks to be grey plate with 3 holes i belive these are military tubes could be wrong.
the preamp tubes are jj's 12AX7's

i dont think i'm getting the distortion form this amp i belive i should be getting the amp tech put bias at max for max tube saturation.

does anyone that owns a 2nd gen model t have any audio clips or video i can listen to so that i may compare my distortion with there amp?

i will upload a video sample of my amps distortion as well i set normal and brite controls to 10 and just doesnt seem to be there.
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline django7866

• gatedoom
Re: model t distortion question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »
Have you tried turning up your master volume? I used to have one, and it got "dirty" at a round 3/4. My amp was biased to a safe level and it still sounded distorted, with the master Volume around 3/4.
Model T Reissue(sold)
74' Model T 1st Gen.
77' Model T 2nd Gen.
70's Concert Lead(sold)
70's Concert Bass(sold)
sunn Sonic II 60 watts(sold)
70's sunn 610L cab(sold)
412s cab
412 enclosure reissue
Sonic 2x10x1x18 cab

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:14 am »
yeah i got everything as hot as you can go just doesnt seem to be there
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline porkusabyssus

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »
Here's a good video demonstration on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI25pLvPW1U

Offline porkusabyssus

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:42 pm »
sorry, I think thats a 1st gen

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »
yeah i know that dude and its a 2nd gen head but its been modded
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:50 pm »
ok heres the video i made showing what distortion i'm getting and let you guys judge if its right or if there should be more 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswOkDukzAE

sorry just noticed the i never put the url in the message
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:13:29 am by tacklebox455 »
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »
just bumping since i added the link now
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »
i know the sound of computer + utube are compressed to shite-but that doesnt sound bad to me
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
Sounds like a Sunn Model T to me. Throaty, wide open, fuzz, nice bottom end. Its not going to be a modern high gain monster. The video posted for comparison, yeah I know you said first gen, second gen and most owners will tell you they sound very similar -- different but not that much. And even knowing you did the mod, I'd still think that that beast needs to be really cranked to get the full effect. My buddy has a 76 Orange OR120 and it really sounds great cranked up, same with Matamps, and Sunns (some master vol and some non-master volume amps, but still those older amps even with a master volume just cook better when cranked). My old Marshall DSL that I sold sounded the same on 1 or 10, just louder - was a true new school master volume amp. My Orange master volume is not like that, the sweet spot is on 8 which is brutally loud. I mean here is my Enforcer on about 3 during a break at rehearsal just messing around - doesn't sound nearly as mean and nasty as when its fully cranked (7-8 is my volume for rehearsal  :evil:) Point being - my Enforcer has the same volume from about 5 on up, but the fuzziness/saturation really goes through the roof the more you crank the volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5cT-wvIMI

Try to get a higher volume I suppose, kind of hard to tell at that level. Also, seems like a lot of people run modded DS-1s or old school Rats in front of their Model Ts when playing at bedroom volume. I push my amps from time to time with a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz, its nice to have that take you to 11 and beyond pedal when you really need it or when you are playing at room volume.

If all else fails - go to a different tech and have him look at it. I mean I did that a few years back with an amp and never regretted it. Now I have a tech who knows his stuff and I thought my old guy did!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:52:49 pm by doomedfuzz »

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
Yeah dude, that sounds about right. If you want more, try the Wampler Pinnacle 2, or a Rat.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:54 am »
ok well maybe i'm just going deaf lol form what yall have said everything is right so i'm happy, on a side note has anyone on hear ever played thru a electric amp like green or black?
i played a black at amp expo this summer reminds me of that sunn sound with a $3000 price tag but built like a tank or thats what i thought anyway
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 05:34:22 pm »
sorry, I think thats a 1st gen
Dixie's right, it's a 2nd gen. The amp just had those basic mods done to it (that are found on that old angelfire page). It also has Svetlana tubes (don't know if that makes a huge difference). I don't usually use the "amp distortion" though, I usually crank the pre's enough to have em driven a little then stomp on a fuzz. In that video though, that's all amp tone.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »
ok well maybe i'm just going deaf lol form what yall have said everything is right so i'm happy, on a side note has anyone on hear ever played thru a electric amp like green or black?
i played a black at amp expo this summer reminds me of that sunn sound with a $3000 price tag but built like a tank or thats what i thought anyway

I posted the video in another forum and the consensus is that at the volume of the video, those tubes will sound stiff - its the nature of them. Sounds like it should. Model Ts are fairly clean amps up until they really start cooking the tubes (high volume) and then they can roar - but not a modern high gain roar, more of a vintage voiced growl. A Model T is not meant to be played at the volume in the video, its a loud SOB! That's why Rat's and such are popular with them for more reasonable volume playing. And I have to rub in, everything will sound sterile and lifeless with EMGs lol...

Now to answer the other question - yes I have played through a Matamp. The other guitarist in my band has a Black Matamp GTO 120, its one mean ass sounding son of a bitch - probably the best sounding amp I've ever heard. I played it for the rhythm part on one of our recordings and I hear it at band practice every few weeks when he breaks it out. Its voiced very similar to Electrics which a couple of my friends have owned but about a grand less in price. I love the tone of Electrics but I don't like the cost and the wait is over a year now. One of my buddies waited 13 months for his! But both the Electric and Matamp are non master volume amps and like your Model T, they have to be just almost dimed to get that lovely angry fuzz tone. The closest I've heard to those amps by any manufacturer is my Sunn Enforcer, very similar voicing to the Matamp, not quite as pissed, but for $300, I'll talk just slightly less pissed off sounding!