Author Topic: Sunn P.A. 12 Second Generation with Stereo Sound and built in Reverb  (Read 2794 times)

Offline zmarty27

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and whatnot and I already have a mystery for us all: I know what this piece of machinery is and what its capable of, but is it the standard Sunn product or was it a special order? How much is it as well? Only minor fixes have been made on it. Pictures can be provided if needed.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn P.A. 12 Second Generation with Stereo Sound and built in Reverb
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:07:29 am »
It looks like it was a standard product and was made from '79 through '82 according to the Catalog thread. Sunn made a ton of different transistor PA gear models in those days, but I don't think they actually sold a bunch of units. I've never seen any PA 12 gear in person.
Put up some pics if you can, it sounds interesting.

I'm not sure that there is much of a market for that era transistor PA gear, although the speakers may have some value on eBay or Craigslist. As with anything it's worth whatever you can get somebody to pay you for it, if you want to sell it put it on eBay and see what it brings.
Then you'll know what it is/was worth and you can share with us!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:42:05 pm »
Apparently there were stereo and mono versions of the PA 12, the P.A.12M and P.A.12S.
The mono version had one 200W power amp, the stereo had a pair of 200W power amps. Both had reverb. There was also 8 channel versions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:34:08 am by loudthud »

Offline zmarty27

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:27 pm »
Alright, I posted some pics to see what you guys think. If they arnt very clear, let me know and I'll re-do them. Thanks guys and gals!

Offline zmarty27

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:08 pm »
Oh! and speakers were not included. Just the mixer. So what do you think? How much do you think I am operating with?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:22:20 am »
Oh! and speakers were not included. Just the mixer. So what do you think? How much do you think I am operating with?

How much what?
Power? Loudthud answered that; 2 X 200 watts.
Value?  Who knows? It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and you are willing to accept, and there aren't any examples of like units that have sold to use for reference; at least none that I can find.
What did you pay for it? That amount is what it was "worth" at that particular time, and may be a good place to start in your search for its current value.

If the purpose of your post is to sell it, figure out what you would take for it and put it in the classifieds section with that amount as an asking price.
Better yet, put it on eBay with no reserve. Much larger reach that this forum; many times the potential buyers.

Good Luck!

Offline zmarty27

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »
See, I'm not looking to sell it. It was given to me. Totally free, no charges or anything. I know what it is capable of. Im definitly no guru when it comes to sound equipment (for I am a drummer), its just a neat piece to have especially for my studio. I was just curious to see if I was sitting on a treasure trove or not. What would you guys ask for price wise?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:23:36 am »
See, I'm not looking to sell it. It was given to me. Totally free, no charges or anything.

Well, you know what it was worth at THAT point in time, the person you got it from thought it had ZERO value......

I know what it is capable of. Im definitly no guru when it comes to sound equipment (for I am a drummer), its just a neat piece to have especially for my studio. I was just curious to see if I was sitting on a treasure trove or not. What would you guys ask for price wise?

Personally if I wanted to keep it I wouldn't waste my time worrying about what it's worth, if I wanted or needed to unload it I'd put it on eBay and let it fly. As I said AFAIK there really is no market established for that era Sunn mixers, so I'm not sure what you are looking to find out. Unless someone finds a confirmed sale somewhere anything anybody throws out as a price is pretty much just guesswork.

I think it's safe to say that it's no "treasure trove"; sound reinforcement technology in general and mixers in particular have taken quantum leaps forward in the past few years.
Your Sunn isn't vacuum tube technology, and it's not digital. It's big, heavy and awkward with very minimal features.
For example; right now you can get a stereo 16 channel 2 X 600 watt powered mixer with 24-bit FX processor with 100 presets, built in feedback detection, and built in phantom power that only weighs 22 lbs. with a handy carrying handle for a couple hundred used and under $500 brand new with a 3 year warranty.

IMO your Sunn is great for a fixed location, I'm sure it handles the duties you use it for handily. I think if it were tube technology someone would be all over it, but as far as some Sunn-o-phile getting all gooey over 80's transistor mixer; well, just don't hold you're breath!

Of course, you never know. Crazier things have happened, which is why eBay is your friend when you are looking for that "gotta have it" buyer.