Author Topic: The Raconteurs  (Read 3957 times)

Offline cintaskep

The Raconteurs
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:58 pm »
I only noticed this a few days ago when i saw thier 'Steady as she goes' video on TV.  But it looks as though the bass player, Jack Lawrence is using a 1000s or something similar in design.  You can only see it for a few seconds towards the end of the video.  It just suprised me as they're quite well known and you don't get many main-stream bands using sunn gear.  Great to see it!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: The Raconteurs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:12:30 pm »

I admit I am getting old, but if these guys are mainstream... what stream are they main on?  I've never heard of them, which may not be kewl...

But I did search and found their website.  It gave me the impression of some program I once used twenty some odd years ago on a Commodore 64.  I tried to look under media / videos but it just brought up another browser window with the main page.  So, I gave up.

If they do use Sunn, I hope it is due to their good taste!! 

Offline cintaskep

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:31:09 pm »
They're main stream over here in the UK.  The band are deemed as Jack White's (the white stripes) 'side project'.  Although it now seems they're pretty serious about making it a proper thing.  If so, maybe the great sound of sunn shall be spread accross the land  :-D

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:00:17 pm »

Thanks... now I know why I have never heard of them!!  8-)

Offline gadgeelvis

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:54:54 pm »
I saw them recently in NJ open for The Bob Dylan Show.  They blew me away.  I wish I could have seen the bass gig to verify any Sunn useage.  Although I was very close to the stage no one sat down all evening and had a hard time seeing.

Good to know that some of the new cats are still using Sunn if true.

tcb 8-)

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:54:37 am »
Their song "Steady as She Goes" was #1 for a week on the U.S. Modern Rock chart (I'm assuming Billboard), not sure about their other singles.  They're relatively well known, we had their CD in rotation for a bit down at my college's radio station.

Offline urbanspaceman

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:04:19 pm »
huh, the band I play in played with the rhythm sections other band, The Greenhornes, several years ago. I don't recall Jack playing a Sunn0)), then. Of course, he may have made the switch after seeing my set-up and having my 'little local' band wipe the floor with them two nights in a row. As I recall, the drummer was cool, but the other guys were total douchebags.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:50:26 pm »
huh, the band I play in played with the rhythm sections other band, The Greenhornes, several years ago. I don't recall Jack playing a Sunn0)), then. Of course, he may have made the switch after seeing my set-up and having my 'little local' band wipe the floor with them two nights in a row. As I recall, the drummer was cool, but the other guys were total douchebags.

Total douchebags, huh?
If you "wiped the floor with them two nights in a row" I must have heard of you, right?
What's your band's name, and do you also play around So. Ohio? 

Offline urbanspaceman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:09:41 pm »
To be fair, they were obviously having a bad time with their tour. I think the first night we played with them they were having van problems, and some issues with the 'second guitarist'. So maybe, douchebag is a little harsh. They were, however, the rudest 'big name act' I've ever shared a bill with - The guys in the Creation reunion line-up were totally cool and so were Colin and Rod from the Zombies and their band. Professionalism works both ways.
The name of the band is irrelevant, as we broke up shortly after - hence the use of the past tense.
As for ever playing So. Ohio. We mostly played in Cleveland/Athens/Columbus back in the day.

Offline a smith

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 08:32:59 am »
They were on the PBS television show "Austin City Limits" last night.
It looked like the bass player was using a SUNN amp. Couldn't make out what model.