Author Topic: Dynaco or Schumacher  (Read 2141 times)

Offline fatlizzard

Dynaco or Schumacher
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »
Transformer from my 200S, Can anyone tell me if this is a Dynaco or Schumacher?
Also best place to buy a replacement (both power and output)

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Dynaco or Schumacher
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:33:17 am »
What is the code on the side of the bell cover that is stamped in there....20xxxxx? Every one of those manufacturers had an EIA code that is that first number...usually a 6 digit number...and you can look them up. If you need a replacement, then get the ones that Triode Electronics sells....they are made from cloned Dynacos but are slightly upgraded (in the case of the power transformer anyway) and are excellent transformers every bit as good as the old Dynacos.

Greg

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:22:13 am »
Will the Triode Dynaclone work even if mine is a Schumacher?
As you can see from the photo the numbers are hard to read except for the first two 28 and last one 0.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:21:28 pm »
The Dynaco clones that Triode Electronics sells will work fine in your 200S. The original manufacturer doesn't really matter, it's the circuit requirements that matter. Sunn's early tube bass amps were based upon the Dynaco Mark III hi-fi amp. The very first "Smiley Face" Sunn amps were literally a Dynaco Mark III power amp with a small, 2-tube, pre-amp that was based upon a Dynaco circuit.

It's very fortunate that the old Dynaco tube hi-fi amps are prized collectibles (I have several myself, along with "way too many" Sunn amps) as this has made it economically feasible for manufacturers to produce these excellent quality reproduction transformers.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:45:24 pm »
Will the Triode Dynaclone work even if mine is a Schumacher?
As you can see from the photo the numbers are hard to read except for the first two 28 and last one 0.

Personally I think that the Dynaco equipped Sunns sound better than the Schumachers. The reason for the switch back in the day was economic according to what Conrad told me, so go with the one that sounds better no matter which one was in yours. The Dynaco transformers had a reputation as some of the best ever, and the Triode ones are clones of the originals.

Greg