Author Topic: Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo For Sale  (Read 8304 times)

Offline sballatt

Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo For Sale
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:55:41 pm »
Looking to sell a Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo.  Picked it up a few years ago from one of my band mates.  Time for it to move on.  It's seen a lot of play, but still in very good condition.  No footswitch unfortunately.  If you're in the NYC area and interested let me know.  Thanks!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo For Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:08:43 pm »
How much?

Offline sballatt

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:19:14 pm »
I'm thinking $400.

Offline BearHerit

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »
Would you consider shipping?

Offline BearHerit

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:48 pm »
Definitely interested in buying.

Offline sballatt

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:01 am »
Yes, willing to ship if payment rec'd in advance (+ cost of shipping).

Offline BearHerit

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »
Alright, sounds good. I'm sold, definitely buying. How should we go about the money transaction, paypal? Also, how heavy is it and does it have casters?

Offline Mike Nobody

• Wherever you go, there you are
    • Mike Nobody @ Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:21:13 am »
I'm interested in a Beta Lead if the deal falls through. :mrgreen:
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.bandmix.com/mike-nobody/

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:23 am »
Well it's been a week since sballatt and BearHerit have traded emails, and it seemes all is well... So, this is coming up (again).

I ended up loaning the amp to a buddy of mine last summer for his kid to learn on, I don't actually have it back yet but I'm pretty sure it's in the same shape, he wouldn't let it leave his basement. A few more hours on the amp since the original ad went up, and I haven't researched the current sale prices since last spring, but I think they've been pretty strong lately.

I've tried to detail any possible flaws, so no "suprises"!

I'm putting up my late 70's or early 80's Sunn Beta Lead 100 watt 4X10 Combo here on the Sunn site before it goes to eBay. Fully functional, all the original knobs, all the red inserts in place, with a factory footswitch.

I’m a tube guy AND a bass player; I got it in trade in a multi piece deal 3 yrs ago and will never use it. It’s been at a buddy’s studio but didn’t get used there either, so it needs to go!

Less than 3 hrs. (a very generous estimate) playing time since (3/25/06) gone through by my tech and brought to "as new" spec., a couple of new matched transistors, some caps replaced.

Four original 10" Sunn AlNiCo speakers, very solid original cones with one issue; the right side speaker cones were creased/dented, probably by the footswitch during transport. There is no penetration through the cones, so I straightened them out and reinforced the areas with latex sealer. Shouldn't affect the integrity of the cones, since as I said, NO actual penetration, and the very low mass of the latex should have little or no effect on the tone. (see pics)

There is also a piezo tweeter placed dead center in the baffle, but I'm not very familiar with solid state gear and I can't explain why it's there. I think it's a factory tweeter; I'm just not sure why they needed it.
The tolex is in excellent condition for its age, with one noticeable flaw, a 1/2" ding down to the wood (see pic). Besides this, other than a few minor scuffs, a couple of cracks in the handle, the cabinet is in great condition, very clean.

As I said, I wanted to give the TRUE Sunn-o-philes a shot at it first, but I think I can get close to $500 on the bay, one without a footswitch recently sold for $475, and a craigslister just got $500 for his.

I’ll sell it for $450 plus actual shipping costs.

I’ll also entertain trade offers, but I’m pretty picky and as I said very “tube” oriented. Any questions or offers please PM.

I’ll check it out and post if it’s developed any issues, but I think its fine. Let me know via PM if anyone is interested.