Author Topic: Pros and cons of these speakers for 215S Cab  (Read 4045 times)

Offline pickinatit

Pros and cons of these speakers for 215S Cab
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:27:21 am »
I need speakers with higher power handling in my Sunn 215S Cab (currently a pair of Electro Voice speakers that start to "flubber" at too low a volume driven with my 2000S.

I play in a fairly loud rock/classic rock band.  We're not a "gigging" band per se. We play three or four outdoor barbecue events a year without PA support for the instruments (PA for vocals only) so I have to provide my own power/volume.   I have plenty of amp power (Sunn 1200S, hybrid that I believe is about 800-900 watts at 4 ohms.   I'm considering the speakers below, but I'm not sure which are the most important criteria are for my purposes: Useable frequency?  Sensitivity?  Resonant frequency?...etc. for a fairly punchy, articulate  bottom end.  I like a Chris Sprier/John Entwhistle kind of sound. (think Round About / Summertime Blues) A little trebly/twangy (that's how I hear them anyway).  The 1200S manual even lists the settings to use for an Entwhistle sound

I've read up on all of the 15" bass speakers on the U.S. Speaker website and Ended up more confused and undecided then I was when I started.  :-D
I would consider any of them within say about a $ 400 budget.  (Maybe $500 if it's the end all or I need to go the 4 speakers route.

Here are the speakers I've been considering.  Any info., experience, education, other recommendations you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I prefer to go with something that's currently available new.
I'm a little scared about used when it comes to speakers.

Eminence: Alpha 15-A
http://www.usspeaker.com/ALPHA15-1.htm   
Not really my first choice. But price-wise they're pretty attractive  :-D  I would probably get 4 of these and put them in both cabs (with a series cable I would have a pair of 4 ohm 2x15 cabs in series at 8 ohms)  BUT, I don't really want to take the JBL D140Fs out of my 200S cab or have to haul
2  2x15 cabs around.   

Eminence: Legend CA 15-4   
http://www.usspeaker.com/Legend%20CA15-4-1.htm

Eminence: Bass Lite C-2515
http://www.usspeaker.com/bass%20liteC2515-1.htm
I'm leaning toward this.  This is the only speaker that has a "Works Great For Bass Guitar!" statement in U.S. Speaker's description.

Offline pickinatit

Re: Pros and cons of these speakers for 215S Cab
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:50 am »
No one with any experience with any of these speakers in their Sunn cabs ?   Without any other feedback,  I think I'm going to end up giving the Basslite C-2515 speakers a try.  Not going to be buying until tomorrow at the earliest though so any info/opinions in the meantime are more then welcome.  I especially am wondering if the Basslite C-2515 speakers will fit in a 200S cab without the need to butcher the insides.

Offline Jeff Troy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:54 am »
Hi, Pickin,

I had similar concerns, and received very detailed information from members here.

Please check the thread, and I'm sure you'll agree.

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,6452.msg27366.html#msg27366

Good luck and warmest regards,
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »
Hey man, I wasn't ignoring you! As I stated in the Jeff's thread, I don't really have much experience with Eminence 15's for bass guitar use.
All I can add that might be relevent is to ask what EV's you are "flubbering" with a 2000S? I've used EVM's and SRO and they are solid as a rock with a 2000S for me. Of course pretty much any speaker will start "acting up" once the 2000S starts getting all Pappalardi on you...  :wink:

Also, you might want to move pretty quick on any Neo drivers; In early April I saw an Eminence letter to OEM's notifying them of an immediate incremental price increase, and stating that the price of Neo drivers is going to almost double in the near future because of new Chinese policies.
Check out the revised prices on new Neo 4X10 cabs on the manufacturer's websites and you'll see what I mean, most of the have jumped a few hundred bucks in the last 6 weeks or so.

Offline OR120

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »
My experience- I like EV's. In my tube Sunn gear, which is, these days a Sorado and 2 1x15 cabs I use older EV 15B's, the 100 watt speakers. They sound fabulous, and I always liked the lows better, it's like the lower octave has more teeth. I want to say I swapped one out for a 15L- sounds better with guitar, but still loads of low end if I need to play bass through it. I was never a big Altec fan for bass guitar speakers, D140's sounded great but I liked the EV's better. When I need lots of oomph I use a Coliseum with 1 or 2 Vega loaded 18V's. When size was a consideration I used a 200S 2x15 loaded with Gauss 5840's, my all time favorite speaker for any low end application, but less efficient than a lower wattage amp needs, and a Traynor Monobloc head. The 4580's were pretty hardcore as well.
   Even though I sell guitars for a living I don't sell much in the way of new replacement speakers. I still like EV's in newer stuff, but have sold some Eminence, taken a lot in trade, and have yet to be disappointed in anything I've heard. I have a pair of LC500's in some EV 1810 subs, and they are amazing for PA.

Chip Coleman
Coleman Music
China Grove, NC, 28023
704 857 5705

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:17:54 am »
Hey man, I wasn't ignoring you! As I stated in the Jeff's thread, I don't really have much experience with Eminence 15's for bass guitar use.
All I can add that might be relevent is to ask what EV's you are "flubbering" with a 2000S? I've used EVM's and SRO and they are solid as a rock with a 2000S for me. Of course pretty much any speaker will start "acting up" once the 2000S starts getting all Pappalardi on you...  :wink:

Also, you might want to move pretty quick on any Neo drivers; In early April I saw an Eminence letter to OEM's notifying them of an immediate incremental price increase, and stating that the price of Neo drivers is going to almost double in the near future because of new Chinese policies.
Check out the revised prices on new Neo 4X10 cabs on the manufacturer's websites and you'll see what I mean, most of the have jumped a few hundred bucks in the last 6 weeks or so.

Ed,  I've never had the EVM's out of the 215S  cab.  It's front loaded so I don't know specifically what EVMs they are.  In fact,  I really am just taking the word of the guy that sold them to me that they even ARE  EVM's  LOL.   I was really after the cab regardless of what speakers were in it.  I will make it a point to taking them out for a look
(hopefully this weekend).

FYI,  my 200S cab with JBL  D140F speakers also "flubber", but I have to admit that the 2000S is pretty cranked before that happens....maybe around 7 on the volume knob.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:43 am »
OK,  so I ordered the Eminence Kappa-lite C2515 speakers and put them in my 215S cab last night. 

http://www.usspeaker.com/bass%20liteC2515-1.htm

Played my Fender American P bass thru my Sunn Concert Bass head (my 2000S is at our practice space)
and all I can say is WOW!!  Tone wise, well, they aren't D140Fs especially at low/lower volume.  They may be a bit bright for many but that's a "personal taste" thing.  Personally I like a little bright, trebly twang in my tone (think Enwhistle "Summertime Blues"  or Spier "Round-a-bout").  I gradually took the volume up and was pleasantly surprised at how responsive and articulate these speakers were on the low end. I ended up with the amp cranked all the way to about 8 and these speakers took that right in stride. 

In short,  I would recommend them for anyone that wants to run a lot of power (they're 300 watts each, continuous). Just keep in mind what I said about the brightness.  In that regard they might not be for everybody.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:21:26 am »

Ed,  I've never had the EVM's out of the 215S  cab.  It's front loaded so I don't know specifically what EVMs they are.  In fact,  I really am just taking the word of the guy that sold them to me that they even ARE  EVM's  LOL.   I was really after the cab regardless of what speakers were in it.  I will make it a point to taking them out for a look
(hopefully this weekend).

The "EV" speakers that were in my 215S Cab were...well....I'm not even sure that they ARE  EV speakers.  There were absolutely no markings visible (without taking anything apart).  They have what seems to be a casing around what would be the magnet with a Flat head, phillips head screw right in the middle of it.  that cap is not very large in dia. (4-5" dia. tops) and the speaker is very lite...almost as light as the Kappa lite C2515 I replaced them with so I guess they are also some sort of Neo-Dymium speakers.  There was a piece of masking tape over the screw that had  "8 ohm, 100 watts" written on it with black magic marker.  That was the "label". LOL 

The steel basket seemed somewhat thin, light weight and, to be honest, flimsy. It looked formed/pressed as opposed to cast.  I think I probably got ripped off  and these aren't EV speakers at all ?  If I take that casing off, might there be some kind of identifying numbers underneath that?  I don't even know how to LIST these things to sell them other them 8 ohms, 100 watts, 15" speakers LOL.  Good thing I was only after the cabinet when I bought it.  I paid $200 bucks for it so I'm not out very much as a result.  I mean, even these speakers have to be worth SOMETHING!!  So I paid maybe between $100 to $150 bucks ?? for the cab.  I'm happy with that.

I'll try to post pictures of the speakers over the weekend and maybe someone can help to identify them.

PEACE,
Michael

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:29:02 am »
As far as I know all contempory EV drivers have cast baskets, and I wouldn't describe them as "light".
Post the pics; I'm sure someone can ID them.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:50:42 am »
doesn't sound at all like any EV driver I've ever heard of. In fact, it sounds a lot like the old Radio Shack Musical Instrument replacement drivers.
Isaac