Author Topic: Enforcer question  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Enforcer question
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »
Hi,

I recently purchased an Enforcer head.  :-D

Both the A and B channel work nicely but when no foot switch is plugged in, I understood that both the A and B channel should be active together. That is not happening.  :oops:

Also, when I do have the foot switch plugged in, I can still not get both channels active at the same time. It is always one or the other.

Is this a symptom any of you more experienced members recognize?

Thanks!

Offline ratslap

Re: Enforcer question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
You might not be using the correct footswitch. Not just any two button footswitch will work. It has to be wired correctly.
You need a "fender" type two button footswitch with a two ring (stereo) male plug. And do a little rewiring while adding a 270 resister.

Offline ratslap

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
Using the footswitch as wired above, you'll be able to cycle between channels A and B independently and also A&B together the way the Enforcer was designed to work.

Offline Watson

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:11 pm »
Yep, the footswitch I'm using is wired correctly as per SUNN's wiring diagram. Also, the Enforcer is supposed to operate in A+B mode when no footswitch is plugged in at all; something that mine does not do either. So the issue must be in the amp circuitry since the improper behavior is observed both with and without the footswitch being plugged in.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a solution  :-)

Offline ratslap

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »
Yep, the footswitch I'm using is wired correctly as per SUNN's wiring diagram. Also, the Enforcer is supposed to operate in A+B mode when no footswitch is plugged in at all; something that mine does not do either. So the issue must be in the amp circuitry since the improper behavior is observed both with and without the footswitch being plugged in.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a solution  :-)

You're right. Good luck with it.
I'm not sure where you're located, there is a good amp tech that knows these Enforcers very good in Hagerstown MD.

Offline Watson

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
Hi Ratslap,

I am in Minnesota but I would like the tech's contact information just the same.

Thanks!

Offline ratslap

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 06:05:27 pm »
Soory I'm so long getting back to you. I had a problem logging on to this site for a while. I stopped checking in..........

The info is.... "Amps And More",  Phone; 410-386-0011 the tech you want to talk to is Geoff. I believe he is the owner.

Offline Watson

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:53:30 pm »
No problemo. You aren't alone. They screwed up this forum good. I haven't been able to get on until now either. It appears they messed with the theme and that is the core of the problem. I am a software engineer by trade (day job). I'm a luthier after hours. You can force the "default" theme so that you can access the forum but submitting this URL:

http://aunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php?theme=1

Thanks very much for the information and I will definately contact Bruce.

Offline Watson

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »
Oops, I meant Geoff :roll:

Offline Watson

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:47 pm »
Finally got tired of only having one channel or the other and pulled out the wiring diagram.  The channel select logic is pretty straightforward only involving 2 ICs and 2 transistors. Took the head apart (a bit of a PITA) and once I had the circuit board out I saw that it had been hacked somewhere along the way. 

I'm guessing that a previous owner didn't have an enforcer footswitch without which both A & B channels are always active.  The fix they evidently settled on was to defeat the concurrent channel operation by cutting a couple of circuit runs and adding a couple of jumpers. After having done that the amp then allowed a normal simple footswitch to switch between the A & B channels but never again were they able to use both channels together.

After undoing their hacked jumpers and putting two new ones in place in order to re-establish the severed circuit runs and original logic, I ended up with only the B channel working at all. That sucked. Evidently they cooked one of the ICs and a transistor in the process.  A few dollars (very few) later I replaced both the ICs and both transistors in the channel select logic and presto, my enforcer once again (first time since I bought it) works properly.

With no footswitch plugged in both the A & B channels are selected.  Plug in the footswitch and the channels are selectable; A or B or A+B.  The footswitch is homegrown and made using the SUNN wiring diagram so if any readers have an original SUNN Enforcer footswitch they are willing to part with please message or email me.

I will pay any reasonable asking price for it.  It would be nice to have an original.

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:53 am »
It was previously mentioned that they have a "stereo" jack, none of mine do not so it's doubtful and I just picked one up with the jack cut off and replaced the whole cable with a mono setup. (sorry none for sale as I'm looking for one more)

Offline Watson

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »
Hi,

The footswitch I made uses a mono jack as per the SUNN wiring diagram.  It works great.  Here is the wiring diagram.

Thanks!