Author Topic: Famously owned sunn amps  (Read 1650 times)

Offline D(o)))(((o)M

Famously owned sunn amps
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »
Okay so I have a large sunn collection.  Within the last week I purchased one of Wino's Model T and Aspen Pittman's(guy who started groove tubes) 1000s! WEIRD RIGHT? So i get my newest purchase in the mail another '67 coliseum PA(my fav. and the loudest vintage sunn head).  So i unpackage it to a broken 6550 tube(lame) so after some swapping the set of tubes.  I power it up to waaaaaaaagrrgrrrrrrrrrruunnnggghhhhhhhtt werrrrr werrrr (sounds its blasting out through the transducers) so I am getting ready to power it down when I notice something stencilled on the top.  It looks like someone tried to remove the paint with thinner and really scrubbed at it.... the words "FLYING CIRCUS" are neatly stencilled on the top? could it be? no... after doing as much research as I can I am unable to confirm that the live Monty python stage show used this amplifier.....  My jaw dropped... the amp sounds beyond wonderful ... it has this freaking huge transformer thats is a milky green box(not original but way vintage).  It weighs much more than my other coliseum PA... Anyone know if monty python's flying circus used a SUNN Coliseum PA head? EVEN if they didn't I love the fact that they might have.... Oh and btw the wino model t is being sold back to the dude I bought it from...  I already own too juch gear and he is a good friend and he wants it back.... so I'm gonna sell it back to him....

Offline MarkG

Re: Famously owned sunn amps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:49 pm »
There was a band out of Chicago about 1969ish called Bangor Flying Circus,which member Alan DeCarlo later evolved into Madura. Saw them a couple times,but cannot remember what they used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJll1XXP72s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIh6wby8ErA&feature=related