Author Topic: using both outputs from second gen model t??  (Read 1370 times)

Offline stockcar1414

using both outputs from second gen model t??
« on: October 23, 2006, 08:01:57 pm »
hey guys, just a couple days ago I bought a second gen model t made around 1975.  I also bought a marshall jcm 900 1960B 300 watt cab that I'm running it through, and I had a question about running the amp in stereo.  To run the amp in stereo i have to use both outputs from the back of the head right?  The clean channel sounded distorted when I ran it through just one side of the cab, but when i plug into both inputs on the cab the clean sounds perfect.  My main question however, is what should I set the ohm selector swithc to on the back of the head?  One input on the back of the cab says 16 ohm while the other says 4 ohm.  Underneath the inputs on the cab though it says 8 ohm left and 8 ohm right, so would I set the selector switch to 8 ohms on the head if i run the cab in stereo?? 

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: using both outputs from second gen model t??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:33 am »

The model T is not a stereo head. It only has one power amp and the two speaker output jacks are wired in parallel.

Using either one of the 4 or 16 ohm input to your speaker, set the impedance selector to that value - meaning 4 for 4, or 16 for 16.

You could run two speaker cables from the head into the 8 ohm stereo inputs.  If you want to do this set the impedance selector to 4 ohms.  But notice this is not stereo and is really not much different than using the single 4 ohm jack.

Offline stockcar1414

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:13:33 am »
oooh ok, thanks a lot for the help!  That's interesting because a friend of mine was saying that if I didn't plug both in, then only two speakers in the 412 cab would be utilized.  But the one thing is that for whatever reason the clean channel sounds much better when I have both plugged in as compared to just plugging one in.

Offline feel the sunn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:52:49 pm »
Quote from: stockcar1414 link=topic=3161.msg9667#msg9667
a friend of mine was saying that if I didn't plug both in, then only two speakers in the 412 cab would be utilized. 
[/quote

switch your cab from stereo to mono.  use one cable.  there is no reason to be in stereo if you don't have a stereo amp setup.

Offline stockcar1414

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:17:35 pm »
alright i'll try it then, thanks!