Author Topic: Mystery Sunn 2x15?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline mattoreg

Mystery Sunn 2x15?
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »
Hey all, I picked up this Sunn 2x15.  The owner told me he got from an older gentlemen in the area who he thought used to work at Sunn.
Any thoughts on this guy?  The speakers are not original.
It is 26 1/2" wide, 44" tall and 13" deep.  it size is unusual as well as the bottom shape and lower back.

Thanks!

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: Mystery Sunn 2x15?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »
You are correct about all the odd stuff with this cabinet. The cabinet dimensions are unusual. The grill cloth appears to be the 1st style diagonal pattern (similar to early Traynor cloth). The large back panel is separate from the rest of the cabinet.....must be fastened from the interior. Also note this panel has rounded corners at the top. The small back panel looks like a modification....note that the tolex does not appear to wrap that panel. Looking at the front, the top of the cabinet has an extension on the face, while the sides and bottom of the cabinet do not have this. The angled bottom edge of the cabinet is odd, as is, what appears to be, a port at the bottom edge. The horizontal port between the speakers is familiar, but it lacks the angled interior panels that typically form the horn. And the speakers are front-loaded into the cabinet .....but this makes sense as the rear panel must be fastened from the interior.

So, was this a one-off prototype? Was this an in-house experiment at Sunn. Or possibly something built by a Sunn employee as a personal project?  I doubt that this is a complete modification of a standard Sunn cabinet. due to the odd outside dimensions.

The rest of my Sunn brothers weigh in!

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:54:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  I'm thinking its some sort of prototype / experiment. There is no port on the bottom, its just flat; the tolex ends and the black paint wood begins.

Come on Sunn folks!  What is this thing?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 11:12:17 pm »
From the Sunn Catalog thread:

Orion 175W 2xD140 or 2xD15S or 4x12 44x26.5x13.5

It's an Orion or Aquarius cabinet which originally had a power amp mounted in the bottom of the cabinet. Only available for a brief time around 1969.

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:40:25 pm »
Excellent!  You sir are a Sunn fanatic! What a pull. 

Do you happen to have a picture of one in its prime? Or any other pic for that matter.

Thanks!!
Matt

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 12:10:41 am »
Thank you!  After reading the first thread; I wonder if this is the cab that perhaps belonged to the author of that thread? - ?kid klash?.

His description about making the back panel and replacing the grill cloth seems way too coincidental.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:19:30 am »
You can click on the member's name and look at their profile. Kid Klash's profile says he hasn't been here since 2012 and lives in Portland.

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 09:23:43 pm »
I sent him a message, we?ll see!  Thanks for you help.