Author Topic: E140s in a 200S bottom  (Read 4629 times)

Offline RobertS

E140s in a 200S bottom
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
I have a couple E130s I was going to have re-coned and also have just found some E140s for sale.  Ive owned a few 200s bottoms in the past and was really looking forward to building a couple for myself. I read in another post here that E140s will not fit in the cabinet.  Can someone tell me if they will fit if I front mount them?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: E140s in a 200S bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11:56 am »
Forum member "arskas" built a 200S clone cab using Fane drivers, and got the clearance needed by front loading them.

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,4595.0.html

I think you would be OK with front loaded E140's, but you might need to modify the grill cloth frame to get clearance for the front mounted driver.
Sorry I can't be any more helpful, as I've never tried it myself...

Offline N2000s

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »
I've had the E140's mounted in a 200s cab. They were a tight fit going in but worked just fine for me.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
I've had the E140's mounted in a 200s cab. They were a tight fit going in but worked just fine for me.

Rear loaded or front loaded, and without modifying the port baffles? That's good info; years ago when I tried wrestling E's into a 200S from the back I gave up after a few minutes. Maybe I was too impatient?
It opens up possibilities for a lot of drivers above and beyond the increasingly more scarce JBL AlNiCos.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
In my custom cab that I made that fits a 200S head upright, and a 2000S head on its side, and has a port at the bottom half the size of the bigger cabinets, an E140 fits fine front loaded, and has plenty of room with a standard 3/4" removeable grille cloth cover. I never tried to fit it into a 200S or 2000S cabinet from the back though. The E140's are freaking heavy, but they do sound good.

Greg

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:32:22 am »
Forum member "arskas" built a 200S clone cab using Fane drivers, and got the clearance needed by front loading them.

I think you would be OK with front loaded E140's, but you might need to modify the grill cloth frame to get clearance for the front mounted driver.

Hello. I'm coming back to really old topic but I'd like to correct this. My Fanes are rear loaded. Only the first test fitting was front mounted. They fit all right. Tightening the  bottom screws was painful and tricky but I did it somehow.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:13 am »

Hello. I'm coming back to really old topic but I'd like to correct this. My Fanes are rear loaded. Only the first test fitting was front mounted. They fit all right. Tightening the  bottom screws was painful and tricky but I did it somehow.

I guess I misunderstood these posts;

Yes I front loaded them speakers. I haven't really thought about that. I bet some might argue about this. I'm basicly just anxious the get some sound out... I think it would protect the speakers better if they don't stick out of the baffles.

...and thank you for the comments  :-)

I don't think it makes much difference tonally, but will you have clearance for the grill cloth?

but will you have clearance for the grill cloth?
I shaped the grill frame a bit but there is clearance.

At least it's good to know that ceramic Fanes will rear-load in a 200S clone cabinet!

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:54:26 am »
Yep, my writings were not 100% clear back then. That bit was probably written while cabs were still under construction.