Sunn Musical Equipment > SUNN Sightings

Sunn Amps in the Movies

(1/4) > >>

Jeff Troy:
Hi, Guys,

I love bad movies, and tonight I accidentally hit on a Sunn gem.

If you have Comcast cable with their OnDemand service, go to the Free Movies category and check out Blast-Off Girls. Writer/director is Hershel Gordon-Lewis.

I haven't watched it beyond the first five minutes, but the opening scene has a truly bad bar band with at least two sparkling-new Sunn rigs in the back line.

The film is copyrighted at 1967, and what I saw looked like a 200S class head with a double-15 cabinet, and a similar-size head with a smaller cabinet to the left. Hofner bass, some kind of Ricky guitar and an SG.

These guys are absolutely the worst, which is merit enough to make the movie a prize. I haven't heard playing and singing this bad in so long that it was almost refreshing. Bad stretch -- it really sucks, but it was cool seeing those old amps back there. Now I'll have to watch the rest of this shitfest.

Warmest...

CLD:
Sounds wonderful! I'll have to watch that as soon as I finish watching "Plan 9 from Outer Space" again ...

warandhairstyle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3iS5Lq9Z_4

found this trailer... it wouldn't quite play correctly but seems to be the right film.  all I could really make out was the Silvertone.

EdBass:
I also love bad movies. I have a pretty extensive collection of them, particularly horrible 50's SciFi.

--- Quote from: CLD on January 11, 2011, 10:19:07 pm ---Sounds wonderful! I'll have to watch that as soon as I finish watching "Plan 9 from Outer Space" again ...

--- End quote ---

Although Plan 9 is often touted as the worst movie ever, I personally think there are worse, possibly even much worse. Ed Wood himself has films that are worse IMO; see if you can make it through "Glenn or Glenda"!  :-D

Here's a titillating "must see"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkCnHUnoYY&NR=1

No Sunns, but I wonder how many children were conceived in the back seat of cars at the drive in while this gem was playing.  :-D

Jeff Troy:
Hi, Ed,

Wow! Absolutely great trailer. Clearly one of the few movies I should but don't have.

My DVD collection just passed 6700, and I have hundreds more on VHS -- even beta! -- that I have to transfer.

I watched Blast-Off Girls all the way through last night, but the only Sunn appearance was in the opening scene. Conrad probably bailed when the movie's "producer" offered to give the  band "amps that didn't blow speakers" to replace what they had. Frankly, the first stuff was a lot better than what they played through afterward. Looked they had a Vox PA column on a stand like my old Super Beatle cabs.

These guys are unbelievably horrible; sometmes relative pitch is a curse.

Are we going to need a separate yak box for bad film?

Warmest...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version