Author Topic: Real or perceived value of Sunn gear?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Jeffrey

Real or perceived value of Sunn gear?
« on: August 19, 2002, 07:37:00 pm »
How many of you out there believe that vintage Sunn gear is so precious that you would place an unrealistically high value on it?

Offline Geoff

• http://www.geoffbullard.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 09:18:00 pm »
I don't know if I'd put an abnormally high value on it -- but I have been known to pay more than "fair market value" for certain music items...including Sunn.

There are a lot of things about the old Sunn company gear/company that I appreciate.  A lot of these traits don't mean squat to other people.  I had a respected amp tech tell me that Sunn was garbage...that paying more than $50 for a 200S-like Sunn (2x6550/EL34) amp in excellent condition was a rip-off.  I couldn't understand that.  How can one tube amp with relatively similar construction be worth so much and Sunn be "crap"? It's not like comparing Fender or Marshall and Sunn is like comparing apples and Hyundais.  Hmm...nevertheless, those types of amps in various states of repair regularly go for over $200 on ebay.  Somebody must want them...or have the money to buy them.

If I like the amp, then I will pay what I think it's worth.  Personally, I like the sound of the amps, the construction, the Sundholm story, the PNW origins of the company, the looks, etc.  To those like my amp tech who hate Sunn tone -- not to start a "religious" argument here but I am pretty convinced that playing technique and skill (in one's fingers) are predominant in determining tone, anyway.  Fender's web site has a FAQ where they reveal that SRV's tone was a result of "power tube distortion".  All this time I thought it was because of his fingers and his playing ability.
<A HREF="http://www.geoffbullard.com/" TARGET="_blank">geoffbullard.com</A>

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 07:26:00 pm »
I am looking to buy a Sonic I cabinet and one person has several of them.  He wants $1000.00 for one of them, is this a reasonable price or is this person just gouging me?  I recently bought a Sunn 2-15 cabinet in excellent+ condition with the orginal vinyl cover for $210.00 from Sam Ash.  Now I would expect a music store to gouge a customer, especially on a used piece of equipment as this is where they make the highest profit.  But this person is a private individual who says he has had them since the early 70's, so I can't imagine they cost a whole lot back then.  What is a realistic price to actually pay for such an item, remember we are talking about a speaker cabinet, not the Holy Grail!

Offline Tom Loizeaux

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 08:00:00 pm »
The Sonic 1-40 single 15 Sunn cabinets went for a little over $200.00 in 1972. Those dollars today would be worth around $600.00 If the fact that these have been kept in perfect condition and are a match, mirror image pair,  with original covers, and completely stock except for upgraded EV15 speakers are important to someone, that would make this particular set a very rare find. To a collector, or a musician that really wanted this matched set, the price could get quite high. Think about the fact that a 1962 Precision that sold for $220. new in 1962, is getting in excess of $4,000.00 these days.

Tom

Offline creitzel

That's a rip-off
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 02:24:08 pm »
$1000 for a vintage Sunn cab is way too much.   Stores, like Sam Ash, usually know "the going price" on gear and may charge a premium to cover their overhead.  In fact, asking your local music store is not a bad way to check prices like that.  That guy charging $1000 was probably emotionally attached to the gear and set his price accordingly.  So it goes...