Author Topic: modifications on a second generation model-t?  (Read 1400 times)

Anonymous

modifications on a second generation model-t?
« on: March 23, 2003, 05:35:35 am »
hi. does anyone know what modifications have to be made on a second generation model-t to make it more useful for guitar? i know about that master volume problem and how to fix it, but nothing more. have heard stuff about the preamp-section for better breakup. and another question. how reliable are the stock condensators? mine has a problem with volume and i think this might be something with the voltage, maybe it´s a bit underpowered. could that be?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 05:59:43 am »
it is safe to work on a unpowered amp that is not connected to an outlet and wasn´t used for 24hrs? i want to tkae a look around in it, but i´m not sure if i could be knocked of my feet from some remaining voltage...

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 04:09:40 pm »
Well... generally speaking, there are no modifications that have to be made on any amp.  All amp modifications should be evaluated based on the sound you are after.  Don't make changes just for the sake of a change...

But with that said, eliminating the master volume wire on these second generation amps will improve the sound no matter what sound you are after!!

The stock electrolytic capacitors are as reliable as any electrolytic... and all of them will eventually increase their internal resistance over time.  It is usually much simpler to just replace them if you do not know their history.  I'm not sure bad caps would cause a problem with volume... more likely increased hum and sometimes a self-oscillation called motor-boating.

An amp unplugged for 24 hours should be pretty safe to work on.  I wait about a 1/2 hour on mine.  If you are asking this question, then I would advise you not to go poking around with the amp plugged in under any circumstances!!