Author Topic: 80's (?) Sunn Enforcer Combo  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Paul Cassone

80's (?) Sunn Enforcer Combo
« on: April 16, 2000, 05:48:00 pm »
I bought an all tube Sunn Enforcer Combo from a local tech.  This has 2 huge 12's and has channel switching, a master volume for each channel, reverb, and a half power switch.  The amp is HEAVY and LOUD and sounds great.  I've never seen one before and was interested if anyone else ever has.

Thanks and regards,

Paul

Offline Don T.

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2000, 10:17:00 am »

: I bought an all tube Sunn Enforcer Combo from a local tech.  This has 2 huge 12's and has channel switching, a master volume for each channel, reverb, and a half power switch.  The amp is HEAVY and LOUD and sounds great.  I've never seen one before and was interested if anyone else ever has.

: Thanks and regards,

: Paul
Hello Paul,
 The Enforcer was originally designed with a FET switch for channel switching. I think by the second run a piggyback card with a relay was used. We found the early amps just didn't have the balls it should when the signal was reduced so a FET could handle the voltage. The relay models had a noticeble click or snap but had much improved dynamics and tone. We built 4 amp heads and 4 4x12 cabinets for Ted Neugent, called Penatrators with knobs that go to 12 and camoflage covering, to be given away at a Texas contest in 1984. I think only 3 runs of amps were done (less than 150 units) before the fender buy-out. This amp had the power of a Model T and similar tone to older designs. Enjoy - there arn't too many of these left I'll bet.

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Paul Cassone

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2000, 09:59:00 pm »
:
: : I bought an all tube Sunn Enforcer Combo from a local tech.  This has 2 huge 12's and has channel switching, a master volume for each channel, reverb, and a half power switch.  The amp is HEAVY and LOUD and sounds great.  I've never seen one before and was interested if anyone else ever has.

: : Thanks and regards,

: : Paul
: Hello Paul,
:   The Enforcer was originally designed with a FET switch for channel switching. I think by the second run a piggyback card with a relay was used. We found the early amps just didn't have the balls it should when the signal was reduced so a FET could handle the voltage. The relay models had a noticeble click or snap but had much improved dynamics and tone. We built 4 amp heads and 4 4x12 cabinets for Ted Neugent, called Penatrators with knobs that go to 12 and camoflage covering, to be given away at a Texas contest in 1984. I think only 3 runs of amps were done (less than 150 units) before the fender buy-out. This amp had the power of a Model T and similar tone to older designs. Enjoy - there arn't too many of these left I'll bet.
:  

Don,

Thanks for your reply.  You're the only other guy I know who is familiar with these amps.  I don't know whether this is the first or second version as far as the switch.  The amp didn't come with the original footswitch, the tech I bought it from got a schematic somewhere and built the switch. It uses two standard footswitches and some diodes from what I recall and hookds up to the amp with a standard guitar wire. The amp is built like a tank and does sound good, so either version, I'm happy with it.  Thanks for the info!

Paul

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2001, 07:17:00 pm »
I have an Enforcer also - originally it was a head but now resides in a "woody" 2x12 combo cabinet.  I don't use it much these days as it's heavy (and loud!!!) but when I need to crank in a big room it's there for me.  The only problem other than replacement tubes was a minor tweak to the reverb circuit to bump the drive level a tad and make it a bit more Fenderish.  BTW, speaking of Fender, I was able to get an owner's manual and schematic set from them for a mere $10.

Now, if I could only find a schematic for my buddy's Alpha 210R I'd be a happy guy....

Cliff Ducharme
cducharm@berkshire.net

Offline langer1

Ted Nugent Penetrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 06:44:47 pm »
I  have theTed Nugent camo Enforcer/Penetrator it looks and sounds like new.

Would like to have the A/B foot switch though.