Author Topic: loose power tubes...  (Read 1874 times)

Anonymous

loose power tubes...
« on: November 07, 2003, 01:55:50 pm »
I recently purchased an old Solarus. The amp sounds great at low volumes, or at higher volumes with the bass turned all the way down. However....when I crank the bass up I get a nasty crackly/farting kind of sound. I know for certain that this is not related to my speakers.

A friend looked at my amp and told me that I might have a loose connection in the power tubes. In other words, the input where the tubes go in is not holding the tubes in properly, and the vibration caused by bass frequencies causes the sound tocut out.

Is this a familar problem? Where can I order a replacement part for this? (Or, does anybody know a good repair guy in the Los Angeles area?)

thanks!

Offline Ryan Phelps

Solarus
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 10:41:55 pm »
Dear Guest,
Certainly try substituting your tubes first. Then have your tube sockets re-tensioned.....high voltages are involved so have a tech do this if you are unfamiliar with tube amps. Next, for crackling noises have the plate load resistors checked or replaced. Lastly, if your anp has not been re-capped, have that work done. Muddy or not existant bass is a classic symptom of worn out filter capacitors.
Good Luck!
Ryan Phelps