Author Topic: Sunn sceptre making an ocean wave sound!!! HELP!!!  (Read 2329 times)

Offline keith moon

Sunn sceptre making an ocean wave sound!!! HELP!!!
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:09:42 am »
:roll:
        Greetings once again!! I have a Sunn Sceptre that is acting strange. Every once in a while it makes the sound that I can only compare to wave sounds-ocean surf. Like white noise. This happens when I am playing. It doesn't do it constantly,every few minutes or so and it starts out soft,increases in volume and dies down again. Other than that,it sounds fine.What in the world could be causing this? I haven't got the $ to spend to send the amp to my favourite amp tech-if I may drop a name here(Jerry at Amp Crazy in Hollywood,CA)
to have him give it the once or twice over. I haven't played through the amp since this sound started. Let me know what you all think. Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All My Very Best,
                         Moonie :P
moonie

Offline oxenrig

• http://www.geocities.com/dancinjesus
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 08:18:47 pm »
Do you have the reverb on when it happens?
Cheers,
The Ox

Offline Fred Cook

Reverb?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 08:40:06 am »
There is a chance that you have the reverb lock on. Or maybe just too much reverb - Sunn's reverb is not great.
Savor the Sawgrass!
DiploStrat

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:22:57 am »
The Sunn reverb recovery circuit uses a single transistor stage for gain and the reverb control is in the collector circuit - with DC flowing through the control.  The DC through the control can cause some noise, even with a clean control when it is rotated, and when it's dirty the noise can become excessive.  If the transistor is also noisy itself, it can introduce a lot of hiss even with the reverb control turned down assuming either a dirty control pot, cold solder joint, or something that puts some amount of extra resistance in the collector circuit.  

You might want to clean/replace the reverb control and/or replace the recovery transistor.