Author Topic: death of a T?? help please  (Read 2662 times)

Offline harmaline

death of a T?? help please
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:29:39 am »
i got a russian big muff the today and was playing it and a few other effects through my sunn reissue model T when the bastard just shut off on me and wont turn back on, im assuming i blew the power transformer, which i've heard can end up costing almost 300 dollars to replace, and i might as well spring for new tubes since i got this used

i had been running the T at 4 ohms as a full stack, driving an ampeg 4x12 (8ohm) and a marshall 4x12 (16ohm) ,maybe i should've been running it at 8 ohms instead dammit dammit

so i guess i'm taking it to the store to get it fixed. anyone know where i can find information on the reissue T's power transformer? is there a way to get a better transformer and thus improve the T's performance? i am just assuming that the problem is the power transformer but the damn thing doesnt turn on and now i dont know what to do, you should've heard that amp roar with that cranked big muff going into it, then she shut down. and i just bought a footswitch too
(note to those who ask about  footswitches: my reissue T  has a quarter inch input jack for the footswitch, so any single button footswitch works)

when i take the amp to the shop, are there any mods that are worth consider to make the reissue T a more powerful beast?  i would definitely like to make sure this is the last time i need service this amp for a long while

any advice would be much appreciated, i'd love to get this thing running and i'd like to know how to optimize its performance. thanks!!

Offline nolangirard

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:40:44 am »
are you sure it not a fuse? thats the first thing i would check. also i have two friends running kt 88s in the reissues. beefs up the sound a little but still not the real deal.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:31 am »
nice so i'll definitely try the kt88s now that i have the chance to experiment with it thanks man
any other suggestions? i found a good tech at least

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 03:00:37 am »
i think kt 88s only would work in a vintage t as kt88s are a replacement for 6550s right?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 08:14:55 am »
As a drop-in replacement, I think that's true, but any reasonably competent tech ought to be able to make the switch.
Isaac

Offline brennansrevenge

power transformer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 04:41:09 pm »
Fender can provide you with a manufacturer to build or get you a new transformer.  personally, i when i replaced mine, took 2 years and $200 to get an original.