Author Topic: 2x15 speaker replacement  (Read 2817 times)

Offline NsubUlysses

2x15 speaker replacement
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:43:44 pm »
I have this empty Acoustic (the brand) 2x15 cab I got for nothing and I want to throw speakers in it and use it.  I'm searching around and was curious if anyone knows what speakers came in the old Sunn 2x15s from the early 70s and if those speakers/cabs were made for bass or guitar.

Also, were those speakers bass or guitar specific? I know a lot of Sunn heads were not bass or guitar specific so was it the same for the cabs they built?

Or if anyone has any good suggestions for 15" speakers for super bass heavy, fuzzy guitar I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:02:21 pm »
The Sunn cabinets of the 70s were usually not specified as to guitar or bass. The 215S was their generic 2x15 cabinet. It also came in a 215M version, with Magna drivers, still not specific to guitar or bass.

Which drivers would you like? Only you can answer that. JBL D130s were used by Sunn for guitar, and D140s for bass, but a lot of bass players preferred the D130s. Likewise Altec made excellent drivers in those days, as well as ElectroVoice. These days, there are lots of good drivers out there, though the 15" drivers tend to be optimized for bass use. Check out Eminence (www.eminence.com) for a nice selection of 15" drivers.
Isaac

Anonymous

2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 01:43:56 pm »
Are the JBL D130s still in production?

Also, would speakers of the early 70s be able to contend with the high volume output of speakers today? I'm a little wary because I have a Sunn 412L cab (I know it's 80s) and that thing puts out next to no volume. I mean, I can go up to about 4 on my head and then nothing else happens.

I'll check out Eminence. Any particular model you'd recommend for guitar?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:25:25 pm »
No, JBL stopped making the D series back in the 60s, and now makes no musical instrument drivers at all. They're still available, used, if one looks around. eBay, for instance.

As for Eminence, here's a 15 designed for guitar: http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/legend/leg151.htm.
Isaac

Offline NsubUlysses

2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:22:12 pm »
Those Eminence speakers match the frequency response of Vintage 30s. Do you know if they will they have more low end just because they're 15s?

The plan is to run a 4x12 with V30s and the line out of my Model T into a Concert Lead so I can play through the 4 ohm 2x15 Acoustic cab as well as the 16 ohm 4x12.

These Carvins I've been looking at are 250 watts more, $10 cheaper each, and the frequency response is slightly lower. Maybe I can get the low end out of the 2x15 and the high end out of the 4x12? I don't really know.  Thoughts?

V30: 70 - 5kHz
Eminence legend: 80 - 5kHz
Carvin PS15: 38 - 3.5kHz

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PS15&CID=RSPK

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 06:36:48 pm »
My thought is that the Carvin is designed as a bass speaker. Ultimately, though, what matters is that you get the sound you want. The problem will be finding out which driver best suits your needs without buying all of them and trying them out. Remember that the lowest note on a guitar is about 82 Hz (62 if you have a low B), so you won't ever have to produce anything lower than that.
Isaac

Offline NsubUlysses

2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 09:09:31 am »
Hmm, do you know what the highest frequency note would be, roughly?

I guess I have another question, too: Does volume affect frequency output in speakers?  It's seems like it would because sometimes the low note just don't come through at high volumes, but are pretty easily audible at low volumes. I'm thinking the Carvin might be better because I will be able to pound out those low frequencies at high volumes.

PS. Isaac, you've been way helpful. Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 02:11:56 pm »
Theoretically infinite!

Usually, the second harmonic is stronger than the first, so you don't really need anything below 160 Hz for guitar, but some like more fundamental. Then, from the second harmonic on, the level decreases, eventually becoming inaudible. Most guitar speakers don't have any significant response above 5K, and that's a good thing if you drive your amp into distortion. Those last two octaves sound really raunchy, and not in a good way. On the other hand, if you're running clean, the those last two octaves can give you sparkle you'll never get otherwise. Start overdriving, though, and it gets nasty quick! Essentially, the 5K rolloff acts as a filter, or tone control, that makes distorted amps sound good. Rolling off at a lower frequency will make the tone darker, which some people like.
Isaac

Offline bentbolt

2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 05:31:46 pm »
also czech out the BIG BEN speaker from Eminence.

I've got jbl d-140f in my 200s and sunn speakers in my 215s. I like the cabs individually, but they absolutely KILL when used together (each with it's own 200s head) the whole of the sound is greater than the sum of its parts. I use this rig for both bass and for guitar. I want another one (or three...)
deru kugi wa utareru

doghead

15" speakers
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 04:38:44 am »
Altec had the 421 & the 421LF, both were good. EV also had the SRO that would blow your hair back, I have a pair of 12" I just reconed. Jbl D-140's good speaker but the cone excursion had a max of 1/2". You needed to be careful.
Today I would go for the Eminence Kappa series for bass, they make bigger ones but keep in mind to match the speak with your amps. output and leave some headroom.
I just picked up a JBL 2241 for bass and I need to get a larger head so I don't clip it.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 01:30:13 pm »
doghead, I think he's looking to use the 215 for guitar, not bass.
Isaac

Anonymous

2x15 speaker replacement
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 03:55:56 pm »
Yeah, it will be for guitar. Thanks for the info, though.