Author Topic: Sunn 1000S  (Read 3323 times)

Offline mrfrigg

Sunn 1000S
« on: December 04, 2005, 09:44:49 pm »
Hi,

I have a Sunn 1000S. I am the original owner... I think I bought it sometime around 1967 or 1968. The amp was on the road for quite a few years, and definately looks very used, but still seems to work fine. I lent it out, and it came back a couple of years later without the horn (which I am trying to locate a replacement). It has been in the basement for the last 10 years or so and I just wiped it down and fired it up.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it might be worth and/or the demand for this vintage piece?

When I was using it, I know I couldn't find anything else to comare... and I tried since it was so huge to haul around. I just couldn't find anything that sounded anywhere near as good.

Thank you all for your time.

Michael

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Sunn 1000S
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:23:36 pm »
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. I've been following the vintage Sunn market for a few years, and these things are all over the place price wise. Some times a nice clean piece goes for next to nothing, and then a couple of days later butchered up piece of crap will bring top dollar.
If you want to sell it, you should set an asking price based on what it's worth to you, and see what you get offered. If nobody makes offers, you were too high on your asking price. Then you could lower your asking price, or wait a week or two and put it up again. Big (4 power tube) old tube Sunn amps like yours go through eBay occasionally, if you check completed auctions you might get a price range for what people were willing to pay, that is IF they actually paid for the amp after they won!

Offline mrfrigg

Sunn 1000S
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:02:53 pm »
Thank you EdBass for your post.  Any information is helpful and welcome.  The thing is really in pretty decent condition for being 40 years old.  Some of the sample photos I've seen on websites were rusted and in really poor condition.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to actually restore it to near new condition... or if it would be better to just let her go.

Considering I paid nearly $1500 for it in the late 60's (I think that would be between 8k and 18k in today's dollars depending on the index you use! - (LOL) - Just wondering if it's still a desireable piece, if it's worth anything, or if it's worth less than it would cost to ship it.  I do know I wouldn't want to have to lug it around!  Glad when I was gigging we were doing two to three week engagements.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Sunn 1000S
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:50:59 pm »
I would restore it and hang on to if it were mine. I can't imagine it would do anything but increase in value. The big Sunn bass amps are probably more desireable than their big guitar amps, mostly because the guitar amps are too good at accurate sound reproduction! It appears that the Sunn idea in the 60's was pretty much anti-distortion HiFi, you can see it touted all over their promotional material.  Much earlier tube breakup, at much lower volume seems to be the hot ticket for guitar rigs now days. How loud is that sucker before it starts to scream? Pretty friggin' loud I bet! Also, the horn driver combo never seemed to catch on for guitar. Great idea for a loud clean rig, but never very popular. Regardless, there are certainly a bunch guitarists who use that clean sparkly tone, and use it very well indeed. Stephen from The Lost Patrol gets a tremendous retro/surf sound and I spoke with him recently about a Sceptre of mine regarding his switch from Fender to Sunn. You can hear them at www.thelostpatrol.com.

I can relate to the bulk, I gig about twice a month, and usually drag out a 2000S with a pair of 2000S cabs. I have smaller gear, but damn that rig sounds good! On the plus side, it's about the only workout I get anymore.

I would restore it and when the person comes along who really wants one, has to have the huge headroom and rich tone, GET ALL THE MONEY! It might be several years, but somebody somewhere just has to have that rig of yours.

HFC

Sunn 1000S
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 10:26:47 am »
i have one of these and use it in my guitar rig. i think it's a great amp and i wouldn't sell it. i do also want to obtain a model t, but even if i did that, i'd never sell the 1000s. it's too good of an amp for me to want to part with.

now to locate some sunn cabs!

Offline AdmiralB

Sunn 1000S
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 07:57:22 pm »
Quote from: mrfrigg
Just wondering if it's still a desireable piece, if it's worth anything, or if it's worth less than it would cost to ship it.

SWAG-wise, I'd say anywhere from $300 to $700, depending upon condition and particular buyer pool at any given time.  It's an uncommon model, seems like you see 2000Ss and 1200Ss more often, but even those are fairly rare.