Author Topic: Stagemaster head questions  (Read 2141 times)

Offline wolfman201

Stagemaster head questions
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:41:19 pm »
I recently picked up a Stagemaster head for $5 at a moving and storage auction. It powers up and works. The controls are a little noisy but I can fix that with some tuner cleaner. It sounded like something was moving around inside of it so I took it apart. I found a long metal box that runs almost the length of the head was loose. It looks like it was only held in place by two sided foam tape. Is this thing the reverb unit? Also does anyone have a schematic for a footswitch to change the channels? Or maybe someone knows of a direct replacement that I could buy. I'm also curious about the value of this amp. I haven't been able to locate one for sale anywhere. Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:11 am »
From your description, that sounds like the reverb tank.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:25:48 am »
The footswitch is available on this site in the schematics section.  Here is a direct link:

http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/schematics/stgmstrsw.gif

Offline wolfman201

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:37:46 pm »
Thanks for the help guys! Anybody have an idea of how much these heads are worth?

Offline mmmbrains

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 03:50:05 pm »
Hey, how do you like that Stagemaster head? I just ran across one as well, at a thrift shop, tagged a bit more expensively ($300)... do you think it's worth it to buy it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pick it up or not... there's not much info on the internet for them, it seems. Thanks!

Offline wolfman201

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 10:28:33 pm »
I think it sounds pretty nice. I'm partial to tube amps myself but for a solid state amp it's got a nice sound. I really liked the reverb. I only had a 2-15 bass cabinet to play it thru so maybe with a real guitar cabinet it would sound even better. It's damn loud too. $300 seems a little high to me for a solid state head, but on the other hand it is vintage and it seems pretty rare. If it's in good condition you might want to go for it.

Offline mmmbrains

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 09:46:06 am »
I'm partial to tube amps as well, but don't have the $$$ for a new one of those right now! I think if I can get the guy to drop the price a little further I will pick it up. Why not? Thanks for the advice!
-Eric