Author Topic: question about Coliseum Lead impedance  (Read 1389 times)

Offline red

• http://www.myspace.com/blackcentipede
question about Coliseum Lead impedance
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:35:44 am »
Hey everyone,

So I just snagged a Coliseum Lead.  I want to run it through my Fender-era 215, which is 8 ohms.  I was wondering, is it possible for me to use 2 speaker cables coming out of the head, into the parallel inputs on the cab?  Would the head then be running at 4 ohms?  Or is this a bad idea because it would cause some problem that I have yet to comprehend?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Bill
Your pretty face is going to hell.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 07:26:19 am »
I'm not at all familiar with a Fender 2-15 cab with dual inputs.  If you are correct in that those jacks are wired in parallel, then they are probably for the purpose of daisychaining cabs.  If this is true, there won't be any difference running parallel speaker cables from the head to the cab.  And it won't change the (wrong word edit: input) impedance.

I'd just plug one cable into the cab.  The coliseum is probably capable of driving an 8 ohm load to the point of making the speakers airborn anyway.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 07:58:04 am »
As long as the speaker cables are wired the same, the effect would be the same as using one heavier gauge cable. One additional benefit would be lowered contact resistance, since you'd be making two contacts instead of one. Now, would you hear the difference? I doubt it, but maybe. If you try it, though, be careful. If the cables are not wired the same, you'll short the amplifier's output, and that could destroy the amp.

To answer your specific question, no, the amp would not be running into 2 ohms.
Isaac

Offline red

• http://www.myspace.com/blackcentipede
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 03:12:37 pm »
Question answered.  Thanks guys.  This forum rules.
Your pretty face is going to hell.