Author Topic: needng help hooking up my sunn rig  (Read 3975 times)

slug

needng help hooking up my sunn rig
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:20 pm »
hello everybody please excuse me for my typing.ok i have a vintage model t, concert lead (4 ohms),two 410s cabs(8 ohms each),beta 402(4 ohms),and a fender reissue sunn 4x12(16 ohms).how can i run these together? i could be wrong but right now im running the model t at 16 ohms with the  16 ohm 4x12 cab.ok now im using the speaker one to the input on the beta 402 then off the beta 402 parallel to one of the 410s.im using the concert lead speaker two going to the second 410s cab.confused yet? ok now im using both channels on the model t then out normal on the model t to the input normal on the concert lead. would this setup be ok? any help will be appreciated

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: needng help hooking up my sunn rig
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:17:48 pm »
hello everybody please excuse me for my typing.ok i have a vintage model t, concert lead (4 ohms),two 410s cabs(8 ohms each),beta 402(4 ohms),and a fender reissue sunn 4x12(16 ohms).how can i run these together? i could be wrong but right now im running the model t at 16 ohms with the  16 ohm 4x12 cab.ok now im using the speaker one to the input on the beta 402 then off the beta 402 parallel to one of the 410s.im using the concert lead speaker two going to the second 410s cab.confused yet? ok now im using both channels on the model t then out normal on the model t to the input normal on the concert lead. would this setup be ok? any help will be appreciated

It would be ok with me  - you do expect to blow the concert lead... right?  The minimum impedance of the concert is 4 ohms. Since you have the beta 402 plugged into it, anything else will reduce it below the minimum.

If that's not your intention, either junk both the 410s... or the 402.  You've got way too many speakers for the power.

slug

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:45:30 pm »
thanks joe, no i dont want to blow up the concert lead!so like two 16 ohm loads make 8 ohms,two 8 loads make 4 ohms,and two 4 ohm loads make 2 ohms? it wouldnt be wise to put two 4 ohm loads to the concert lead because that will make 2 ohms and the lead wont go that low right?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 07:52:29 am »
thanks joe, no i dont want to blow up the concert lead!so like two 16 ohm loads make 8 ohms,two 8 loads make 4 ohms,and two 4 ohm loads make 2 ohms? it wouldnt be wise to put two 4 ohm loads to the concert lead because that will make 2 ohms and the lead wont go that low right?

Yes sir, you've got it!!

Offline cromag

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:34:34 pm »
again joe amazes me for being able to understand all that in the first post.

rick.heil

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 04:13:35 pm »
Again, that's why he has those fancy blue "moderator" stars....

Plus he probably had the patience to re-read.

slug

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:20:17 pm »
is it possible to run the model t  with the 16 ohm cab and the 4 ohm cab? if so what impedance should the model t be on? or could i run the concert lead with the 16 ohm cab? thanks

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 02:40:31 pm »

Sure it's possible, but not recommended.  The 16 and 4 ohm in parallel would give you 3.2 ohms - close enough to 4.

But the 16 ohm speaker will just be loafing along, receiving only 1/4 the power that will be going to the 4 ohm.

I'm not familiar with the 402, but if it contains 2 speakers chances are it's 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel.  If that's true, a better idea would be to rewire the 402's speakers in series for 16 ohms total... and now you can connect two 16 ohm loads to the model T set for 8 ohms.

Why do you think you need to use so many speakers?

slug

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:49:17 pm »
thanks joe, just trying to figure out this impedance stuff and wondering what my options are with what i have. thanks again

Offline cromag

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 11:37:19 am »
i've re-read that post many many times and still have no idea what is going on.