Author Topic: Cleaning the amp and wattage  (Read 1946 times)

Offline eotpr

Cleaning the amp and wattage
« on: January 30, 2007, 02:20:11 pm »
Is it safe to use something like Armorall on the exterior of my amp and cabinent?  It is starting to look drab.  I was also thinking about blowing the electronics out with air would that be OK?  I have noticed that a lot of people here say that these amps are 60 watt but on the back on mine one output jack says 150 watts and the other one says 450.  What is up with that?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning the amp and wattage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »

Mild soap and water, used sparingly, is all that is necessary to clean tolex. You can use Armorall if you want, but it will probably look even worse.

Blowing out the electronics with air is fine.

You didn't mention what amp you have.  By the 60 watt you say, I would assume it to be a 1960's Sceptre, 200s, 100s or the like?

If the speaker output jacks are labeled with wattage, then someone has probably performed some trick on you.

Some people confuse the AC power requirements to be the same as the audio output wattage available to the speaker.  This is incorrect as a tube amp needs more power than it will provide to the speaker to compensate for losses - such as heating up all those heaters in the tube so that the tube will work.

Offline eotpr

Re: Cleaning the amp and wattage
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
oops It is an old Sunn Scepre with a 3x12 cabinet.