Author Topic: cabinet insulation  (Read 1562 times)

Offline feel the sunn

cabinet insulation
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:24 pm »
what type of insulation should be used in a 4x12?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: cabinet insulation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:23 am »
From what I've read, fiberglass is the best, but some people think it has health hazards associated with it. Next best is either acoustastuff or hollofil, but they're more expensive.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:23:44 am »

There is no "should" because there is no rule that says you have to use any insulation in any MI cabinet.

I have an old 2x12 that only has a stuffed burlap thing stapled on the back panel. Don't know what it's stuffed with but it's only about 3/8" thick. Nothing on the other panels. It's a pretty good sounding cab.

The Acoustic 261 cabs - 2x15 and horn didn't have any insulation.

On the other hand, some of the early 60s Fender cabs were completely stuffed with fiberglass batts and were pretty good sounding.

Offline made by hand

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:31:11 pm »
ON THE OLD SUNN 200S AND 2000S CABS SUNN ONLY COVERED JUST 2 SIDES WITH INSULATION...IN THAT CAB YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE 2 PARELLEL SURFACES FACING EACH OTHER...THAT'S WHY YOU SELDOM IF ANY SEE A CAB WITH ALL FOUR SIDES COVERED...BUT YOU CAN IF YOU WANT TO...YOUR CALL...I'VE DONE SOME 200S CABS OVER / RETOLEXED THEM WITH GRILL CLOTH SO THEY LOOK NEW...AND I'VE COVERED ALL FOUR SIDES INSIDE AND THE CAB SOUNDS GREAT...IN MY YOUNGER DAYS WHEN I HAD NO MONEY AT ALL..I USED HALF INCH OR THICKER...CARPET PADDING AND THE CAB SOUNDING GREAT ALSO...IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO SEE THE INSIDE OF A HARTKE BASS CAB..THEIR INSULATION LOOKS ALOT LIKE CARPET PADDING ALSO...SO..IT'S YOUR CALL...THE EGG CRATE LOOKING INSULATION WORKS GREAT BUT YOU PAY FOR IT..BUT...HEY...YOUR EARS WILL SMILE....Bob