Author Topic: NOS tube supplier recommendations?  (Read 4917 times)

Offline TheLustyGhost

• http://www.myspace.com/beardofboston
NOS tube supplier recommendations?
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:22:13 am »
I want to get a couple sets of backup NOS tubes this summer.  Any particular vendors I should watch out for? 

Offline spellcaster

• Nicholas Syracuse Photography
Re: NOS tube supplier recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:51:11 pm »
I believe, most of the early Sunns had Gold Lion kt88's. Not going for the nos tubes myself but have discovered a company named "New Sonic" that came out with a "Gold Lion" reissue that looks interesting. Just ordered a set for myself. Anyone try these? May not be NOS but could be a nice alternative.

Update: Put the tubes in and I'm very happy with them. Still curious if others have tried these and can can compare them to the older Genelex or the JJ's.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:45:23 pm by spellcaster »

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: NOS tube supplier recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:16:39 pm »
I saw those Gold Lion's myself the other day. Have to see if there's a couple of bucks in the cookie jar (left) and order a pair.

I have Electro Harmonix from The Tube Depot in now. They took a month or so to settle in, but sound good now. I have tried changing preamp tube, but really not been able to tell a lot of difference, a bit more smoothness in the old RCA I put in after trying a new EH. Hard to tell and even harder to describe.