Author Topic: Ever replace tube sockets?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Spectrum II

Ever replace tube sockets?
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:34:47 pm »
Is it worthwhile? Do loose sockets have any affect on the sound of the amp? I got some loose ones & my amp has been sounding like crap lately. We're going through some hard times, me & my Sunn.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Ever replace tube sockets?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:25:17 pm »
It's an easy job, but I'm not sure how much they would contribute to "my amp has been sounding like crap lately" unless they are so loose that you aren't getting pin contact.
Has it been cutting out, or have you noticed some of your bottles aren't glowing?

Offline Spectrum II

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:32:34 pm »
It has been cutting out, but I didn't think to take a look in the rear to see if the tubes were glowing or not. if I turned it up to 6 & then back down to 4, it would remedy the no sound problem. They're quite loose. I wonder if I'm loosing pin contact? I'm just not getting the bass out of it like I used to. It's more distorted than it used to be, which isn't a bad tone, but it ain't my bag.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:49:03 pm »
Well, it can't hurt to replace them. What kind of shape are your filter caps in? It's difficult to diagnose via internet, but you are describing symptoms indicative of failing electrolytic caps, and if they are old that may well be your problem.