Author Topic: Model 215  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Model 215
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:11:52 am »
That's the Fender-era 2x15 cabinet. Originally, it contained two unidentified 15" drivers. Cabinet is pretty lightweight, made of plywood, with a couple of 2x4 crossbraces. Pretty loud, lots of mids. I thought it was lacking a bit on the low end, especially for a 2x15 designed to go under a 4x10.

I replaced the drivers with JBL 2220's. Surprisingly similar sound, though the JBL's had another octave on top. I'm sure some people would love it, but I was looking for a deeper response.

Last night I took the 2220's out and replaced them with K140's. While the cabinet was empty, I lined it with ½" foam. It was already past my bedtime when I finished, so the report on how it sounds will have to wait until tomorrow.

The plan is to use it Sunday at the Emerald Empire Hempfest.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 10:20:01 am by Isaac »
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Model 215
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:47:17 am »
Nice.

Not the huge bottom I was expecting, but solid. Adding just a little bass gave it all the authority I'll ever need! And the midrange is so smooth, so clear. The K140 is a nice driver.

The other thing that surprised me was that, while it sounded great powered by the 200S with just a little bass boost, when I used the Model T I had to add a little treble as well.

Either way, though, it sounded great. Should be good for moving a lot of air at tomorrow's outdoor gig. Too bad it's expected to rain. :(
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Playing Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:21:27 am »
Playing tomorrow at the Emerald Empire Hempfest. If you're in the vicinity of Eugene, Oregon, drop by!

Unfortunately, it will probably rain.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:34:31 pm »
Not the huge bottom I was expecting, but solid. Adding just a little bass gave it all the authority I'll ever need! And the midrange is so smooth, so clear. The K140 is a nice driver.

I really like the K140 also, probably my favorite all around driver with a tube amp. I've also run a K140 and a K145 in a 2000s cab, sweet combination; a little more tight "thump" but still silky and defined through the mids.

Either way, though, it sounded great. Should be good for moving a lot of air at tomorrow's outdoor gig. Too bad it's expected to rain. :(

Rain? In OREGON? How unusual! :-o
I hope the bass gods smile down on your gig tomorrow!
But... at a "Hempfest" I would imagine you could have a 12 degree blizzard and a good time would still be had by all.

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:09:40 am »
Hope the gig goes well today! Maybe get a clip of it to post for us to hear said monster tone?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »
The gig went well. No rain. Not as many people as I'd hoped, but I understand this is a young festival, and growing. There were several video cameras running, so I imagine videos will be available soon.

I got all the thunder I wanted and then some! It sounded great! I even turned the bass control back to zero.
Isaac

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:30:27 pm »
Nice!! Glad to hear it didn't rain.

Playing outdoor gigs is a boatload of fun.  Can be nicer occasionally than being holed up in the corner of a sweaty, smoke-filled bar.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:22:59 pm »
I like the K140 as well. They handle a bit more power than the D's and seem to be smoother to my ear....a totally subjective statement if I ever made one.

Yep, few things better than playing outdoors with a nice breeze. Not only that but every time I play outdoors...someone always tells me to turn up...they can't hear me 50' away. Then it is like it should be....the bass is the loudest thing on stage! IMO...no humbleness there at all.