Author Topic: advice needed  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Ryanx

advice needed
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:50:15 pm »
long story short, i ran into a guy at the pawn shop i frequent looking for gear and he struck up conversation with me over an old bass combo me and my buddy were looking at.  it's an older guy and whatnot, supposedly has been playing for years etc has been through every amp imaginable and now i selling off all his stuff through conventions and at some store a few towns over.  so it comes up that he has an old 215 cabinet that he's looking to get rid of, he told me it was a sunn cab but didn't know the model name of it.  so a month goes by and i call him asking if the cabinet is still available and whatnot but i wanted to know the model name, he said that it's packed away, etc and doesn't know the model name but it's been rebranded with an EV logo.  The OG Sunn badge isn't there and i asked him to look on the backplate for the model of the cab and he said he didnt think there was one but could be wrong, etc.  he went on to tell me about how it's not the original speakers and that the sunn speakers were junk, but he didnt pay more to get JBL's in it.  He went on to say about how the brand of speakers he had in it were absolute top of the line at the time and whatnot.  so i'm weary about going to check this out because i'm not the guy to say "no" to anything and this is seeming shaky that it's a legitimate sunn cab.  I don't know what EV cabs are, but im not particularly interested in them.  He said it was about a chest height cab and thinner than the 215s that came with the 200s and 2000s.  i don't think he's too sure but assures me "i know a sunn cab when i see one".  he wants 150 bucks for the cabinet.  thoughts?

Offline Spectrum II

Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:56:35 pm »
You'd know a Sunn cab when you saw one. It's $150! I say, why not!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »
I'd go look at it and take measurements, or get a pic and post it here. Tell him you are interested (if you are) in a Sunn cab but you have to be sure. I don't think Electro Voice made/makes musical instrument 2X15 cabinets, but they make a whale of a 15" driver, even if it's not a Sunn if it's a solid 2X15 cabinet with a pair of good EV's in it I'd say it's worth every penny of $150.
Maybe a whole lot more.
Tell him you have a buddy who also might be interested and you need to get a pic to email him,
Your Buddy Ed

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:31:58 am »
okay here's what i'll do.  I'll buy the cabinet and see what i have my hands on.  If i decide that i don't want it, i'll post it up here for sure.

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:32 pm »
okay so i got the cabinet.  It's definetly a Sunn 215.  the badge was in deed missing but the area where it was was noticeable, so i'll be on the hunt for one of those now.  the grill cloth has a tear in the bottom that's about 3 inches long, it's not an awful tear, but it's a tear, a few other nicks in the grill cloth but nothing major.  the tolex is in nice shape and will be i n even better shape once i clean the whole thing up and down.  there definetly is no backplate, only some crude after market joke for an adjustment holding up the single input.  the speakers are old Altec Lansing 15 inch drivers cast frame or whatever he had told me, he didn't talk much about the speakers.  I plan on taking a bunch of pictures to get a more proper identification.  It's rear loaded and has about 400 screws in the back of it so taking it apart tomorrow should be a treat.  the guy had a ton of stuff in a little apartment, it was unreal.  he had a second bedroom that looked like a warehouse of just stuff.  tubes, speakers, rack stuff, amps, cabinets, etc.  The guy just happened to have an old Marshall Major 4x15 cabinet blocking the closet door.  guys 2 room apt. was like a warehouse.  He gave me 2 as yet to be identified matching old stock 6550's and an old Tung Sol 6550 for nothing.  it was a good deal!  so it seems!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:07:52 am »
Looks like you done good! Those Altecs (421's?) are very nice speakers also, in the day lots of people preferred Altecs over JBL's for bass guitar use.
I'd say you got an excellent deal, congratulations!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:37:29 am »
Fantastic deal.

The Altecs ought to be worth a hundred each, as should the Tung-Sol.

I'd say you made out like a bandit!
Isaac

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:48:12 pm »
"there definetly is no backplate, only some crude after market joke for an adjustment holding up the single input."

i have a few older Sunn 15" cabinets, and 2 of the 4 had very poorly fashioned "replacement speaker jacks" when i acquired them.  one of them had a fairly well-done reinforced metal jackplate installed.  i have got the rest of them fixed up to meet my rigorous standards, but i am wondering if any of you out there can tell me what the deal is, why the old school speaker jacks seem to have all been damaged, destroyed, or replaced.  what gives?  has anyone besides myself and Ryanx encountered this problem with silverface Sunn cabs?

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:49:29 pm »
Ryanx -

WHERE IS THE MARSHALL 415?

IS IT FOR SALE AS WELL?

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:48:48 pm »
Old, untested, unknown quality tubes aren't worth very much, despite that it is a well-respected brand. If you have a way to test the Tung-Sol 6550 then that will help if/when you intend to sell it, but it won't bring $100 unless its new and in the box. Antique Electronics sells them for $162 each new, and they are out of stock. If its used, you can probably get $40 or so for it.

Still, for what you got, its a fantastic deal!

greg

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:20 pm »

(said input jack)

i'm going to get the tubes tested on friday and see what i'm going to do.  i can call the guy about the marshall 415, it would be easier to tell him what you may be looking to give for it.  he seemed like he liked it, it was in good shape but if i 'm not mistaken i didn't see the emblem on it.  just like my sunn.  it was sloppily re-branded with an ev logo plate that i pulled off.  first words out of his mouth were 'youll never see one of these again'

he's selling a bunch of things, he's looking to get boogie combos and that's it

when i say he has a lot of stuff, i think you're underestimating how many guitar and amp components can fit into a small 2 bedroom apt.