Author Topic: 15" Folded Horn Speaker Cabinet Dimensions  (Read 17292 times)

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: 15" Folded Horn Speaker Cabinet Dimensions
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 06:42:25 pm »
I had a 200S cabinet where the front baffle became detached from the horizontal piece forming the top of the port. Hard to see unless you can remove the grill cloth. To remove the grill cloth frame I had to get one of those two foot long phillips screwdrivers. Some glue and a couple of sheet rock screws fixed it. The cabinets tend to loosen up over time. Try to force glue or calking into all the joints while you have the cabinet open.

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:14:02 pm »
The Acoustic 360 is actually the Preamp designation.   The cabinet designation is 361pp.  In the Acoustic 361pp Cab,  the Power amp was built into the bottom on the cabinet floor.  The preamp was the only piece of Equipment that sat on the cabinet head.  The Power amp on the 361pp could run 3 additional  non powered 361 cabinets. The 361pp means it had the power amp built on the floor and the 361 meant it did not have a power amp.    The big boy Acoustic amps such as the 450, 320,370, 470  could safely run a 2 ohm load .  I have a 360/361 and a 370/371. 
I knew the Sunn "folded horn"  cabinet for the 2000s was not actually a horn at all, but almost everyone calls it a horn,  So rather than confuse everyone I just called it the Sunn Folded Horn Cabinet.  I guess I confused everyone anyway.  Ha ha

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 03:55:34 pm »
So Spliff....which one are you looking for? The ported cabinet they called a folded horn or the folded horn cabinet that really is?

I would have thought the 2000S cabinet is the same as the 200S except wider. Anyone verify this? If so, I have seen dimensioned schematics of the 200S cabinet....I'll look around.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 07:34:01 pm »
So Spliff....which one are you looking for? The ported cabinet they called a folded horn or the folded horn cabinet that really is?

I would have thought the 2000S cabinet is the same as the 200S except wider. Anyone verify this? If so, I have seen dimensioned schematics of the 200S cabinet....I'll look around.

The 2000S is 6" bigger in every dimension except depth;
2000S - 48"X30"X15"
200S - 42"X24"X15"

Here are a couple of pics the last time I had them opened up.
I had just loaded K140's into one of my 2000S cabs, sounds killer by the way!

I still haven't had a chance to get accurate measurements, but I will as soon as I get a free day and I'm in the same zip code as my shop.

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:45:42 pm »
Thanks for the great pics.  You guys can look no farther or need to open up your cabs for any dimensions  ..I  can get all the info I need  off the pics.   Thanks for all your help and input in my search.  I Know this is a "Sunn" site but last month I designed and built a 4 x 10 cab that looks basically the same as the cabs in your pics.  The only thing I did different is, I left out the center divider that separates the 15's and at the top and bottom rear of the cab I put a 45 degree reflector panel to help move the sound to the denter port.

The cab measures 30" tall x 25.5" wide x 16" deep.  I loaded it with Celestion Bass  speakers , wired it up for a 4 ohm load.  This is undoubtly the best 4 x 10 I've ever heard and I've owned many of them from David Eden , Trace Elliot, Ampeg and  Mesa Boogie ( bought for my son) .  It growls and rocks like no other 10.  If you heard it , you would swear it was coming from a 12 or a 15 .  If anyone would like to see the pics , let me know and I'll send you some.  BTW, my son ended up with it and sold his mesa  and I've got 2 more orders from people seeing and hearing it.  So, I will get started on the 2000S cabs (2 of course) later this week.

Offline sundhy

• http://c.sundholm@comcast.net
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 06:25:05 pm »
Here is a look at the inside of a 2000S cabinet I recently built.

Conrad Sundholm
Great tone my passion.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 04:42:59 pm »
Conrad,

What did you use for a speaker jack plate? The 1-3/4" silver cups (can I call that the River Road era?) don't seem to be available anymore, the ones I can find are gold with a severe dome shape in the bottom. The 1 inch plastic cups from the Tualatin era I have never been able to find a replacement for and it seems like they are always broken.  :-(  I usually attach a flat plate on the inside of the cabinet.

-Loudthud

Offline sundhy

• http://c.sundholm@comcast.net
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 05:45:20 pm »
My son gave me an old sunn column pa cabinet.  I trashed the cabinet and used the small round cups from that cabinet.  I believe them to be the same used on the original 2000S cabinets.

The old large round speaker cups were actually "door pulls" like used on sliding closet doors from that era.  You might be able to find them at a cabinet hardware supplier.  Brass pulls could always be chrome plated.  Expensive though.

Conrad Sundholm
Great tone my passion.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:25:59 pm »
Hah, door pulls! Great, I love it...use whatchagot. I'll check out Home Depot next time I'm there.

If anyone has any part they are thinking about having chromed or re-chromed, contact an auto restorer in your area. They would probably add your single piece in with some restoration they are doing for a reasonable price. As with wood, the better the prep, the better the end product. I had some corners re-chromed by my brother...an auto restorer. He charged me less than $20.00 for 8 pieces. I sanded and steel wooled them until they were smooth. He copper plated them once, gave them back for me to smooth and then chromed them.  I think you have to copper plate brass before chroming…but I know more about playing than metal.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 05:30:42 pm »
Hah, door pulls! Great, I love it...use whatchagot.

If anyone has any part they are thinking about having chromed or re-chromed, contact an auto restorer in your area. They would probably add your single piece in with some restoration they are doing for a reasonable price. As with wood, the better the prep, the better the end product. I had some corners re-chromed by my brother...an auto restorer. He charged me less than $20.00. I sanded and steel wooled them until they were smooth. He copper plated them once, gave them back for me to smooth and then chromed them.  I think you have to copper plate brass before chroming…but I know more about playing than metal.