Author Topic: 1200S restoration  (Read 2185 times)

Offline John

1200S restoration
« on: April 18, 2000, 04:50:00 pm »
Well, the 1200s that I bought over the net just got here, and it needs a lot of work: new pots, new caps, a general sorting out, and some new tubes. Any suggestions for part sources? This model has the 2 rectifiers, and mid-boost, 'verb and tremolo.

Also, cosmetically it needs help. Any sources for tolex and/or grill cloth?
Thanks for your help!

Offline Old Sunn Guy

1200S restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2000, 12:40:00 pm »
Where are you located?

If in the Pacific Northwest, Andy Marshall of THD
electronics enjoys working on sunn amps.

He's very good - he does the THD hot plates
and a number of other cool products

Look on the net for THD electronics

Offline John

1200S restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2000, 03:58:00 pm »
Yeah I'm in the Seattle 'Burbs. I'll give him a call. I plan on doing some of the work myself, but I'd like a pro to put it in reasonable conditions before I dive in.

Maybe I can get grill cloth from a Sunn dealer (based on what I've read here), then tolex will be my challenge!
Thanks again :smile:

: Where are you located?

: If in the Pacific Northwest, Andy Marshall of THD
: electronics enjoys working on sunn amps.

: He's very good - he does the THD hot plates
: and a number of other cool products

: Look on the net for THD electronics

Offline Ryan Phelps

1200S restoration
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2000, 04:39:00 pm »
: Yeah I'm in the Seattle 'Burbs. I'll give him a call. I plan on doing some of the work myself, but I'd like a pro to put it in reasonable conditions before I dive in.

: Maybe I can get grill cloth from a Sunn dealer (based on what I've read here), then tolex will be my challenge!
: Thanks again :smile:

: : Where are you located?

: : If in the Pacific Northwest, Andy Marshall of THD
: : electronics enjoys working on sunn amps.

: : He's very good - he does the THD hot plates
: : and a number of other cool products

: : Look on the net for THD electronics

Old Sunn Guy;
John is right! Andy Marshall is great. If you are in Seattle, come by the Greater Seattle Vintage Guitar Show being held on Sunday April 23rd at the Eagles Hall on Corson Ave. S. in Georgetown. I'll have a booth with several Sunn tube amps that I've restored. I can also tell you where to get tubes (New Sensor), caps (Antique Electronic Supply) and pots (New Sensor and AES are both good) for Sunn amps. If you can't get repro vinyl from Fender, I found that 80's vintage Vox Vinyde is a very close match. I had to make a repro back for a 1967 Sonic 1-40 speaker cab and covered it with Vox material. It's side-by-side with the original material and you have to look VERY close to see the difference.
Hope to see you at the show!

Ryan Phelps

Offline John

1200S restoration
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2000, 12:00:00 pm »
BTW I talked to Andy yesterday, and he was very freindly and willing to give advice, but he no longer works on Sunns :sad: Too much work on THD stuff now. He liked my ideas for moding the amp, and gaveme some good suggestions.