Author Topic: Time Capsule  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Time Capsule
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:05 am »
I opened up one of my old Concert PA cabinets yesterday. Inside was an enigmatic message:

Nov 22  1970
Snowing out - cold (30°)
World Situation - Bad
Nice try Sunn
But the cast Iron dosn't
do the Job!

My best guess is that the assembly area was heated by a cast iron stove that wasn't up to the job.
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Time Capsule
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:45 am »
What was I doing inside the cabinet?

I got it out to use as a bass cabinet for a show I'm doing: Reefer Madness
http://www.corvalliscommunitytheatre.org/shows/2007_2008/reefermadness/index.html

But it sounded terrible! I figured it was the amp, but my Model T sounded just as bad. On the Model 410H cabinet, the T sounded fine, so I figured it had to be the crossover network. I opened up the cabinet and bypassed the network, taking both it and the horn out of the circuit and running the D130 full range. Sounds great, as D130's tend to. Unfortunately, the components of the crossover are potted, completely sealed in something like wax or plastic. Probably wax, considering the age. I might gut it and make an entirely new crossover after the show is over.
Isaac

Offline cromag

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:25:28 pm »
nothing really to do with amps and such.   but, last winter i bought my moms house which was built in the 50's i believe.   i did a bunch of remodeling throughout.  i cut a doorway through the back of a cedar closet and in to the back of a regular closet.  then built a wall to now have a huge walk in / through closet.   anyway, while cutting through the cedar boards and cleaning up the pile of them, i noticed a message written on the back of one of the boards that would be on the inside of the wall.   not able to be seen.   if i wouldn't have cut open the wall, no one would have ever seen it.  it said, written in pencil, "what size do you wear?".  super creepy as this was the inside wall of a closet.   

Offline made by hand

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:14:51 pm »
RUN !