Author Topic: Which cabinet with Sunn 200S?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Which cabinet with Sunn 200S?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:32 pm »
All Sunn tube amps are biased class AB, as far as I know.

Why does that matter to you?
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 06:46:48 pm »
The Class doesn't really matter, and most of the amps out there advertised as "Class A" such as the Vox AC30 are not really Class A. Its just a marketing term in most of those cases. Of a bigger importance to the difference in sound is the method of biasing, i.e. cathode or fixed bias, if there is negative feedback or not, and what the preamp and power amp voltages are. Sunn tube amps are fixed biased with lots of negative feedback, and are almost always ultralinear too. Personally, for guitar purposes instead of bass, I'd disconnect the negative feedback loop, change the preamp voltages, change the tone stack, and change the phase inverter design....but it would be easier just to use another amp, which is why I don't use Sunns for guitar. For bass I love them though!

Greg

Offline saturnzreturn

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 04:33:37 am »
Ok. I thought there would be a difference in biasing method depending if your amp is a class A, AB etc... but I guess not. I'm going to check the bias of my 200S probably next week and there's, for sure gonna be some questions about it, so if you want to help a newbie check out this thread...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 01:56:10 pm »
Bias is how the class is set. Increase the bias, making it more negative, and you move closer to class A, some people think it sounds better, and the power tubes burn out more quickly. So the setpoint changes, but there's no difference in technique as far as I know.
Isaac