Author Topic: bought a sunn full stack for 500 bucks.  (Read 3582 times)

Offline cromag

bought a sunn full stack for 500 bucks.
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:39:21 pm »
well, the title says it all.   today i picked up a sunn coliseum lead from 71 and two 4x12 cabinets for 500 bucks.  one cab has the original sunn transducers and the other has two original transducers and two mixed matched.  one is a fender speaker made by utah.  the two transducers in the second cab are different than the ones in the first cab.   i took the coliseum apart to clean it up a bit.  it was very very dusty / dirty.  I gently brushed and vacuumed it out.  then sprayed all the pots with cleaner.  waiting for that stuff to dry a little and i will try it all out tomorrow at practice.  is 500 an o.k. price?  that's what i offered the guy (over the phone via the owner of the shop.  they were on consignment).  i thought that might be a little low.  he didn't hesitate to accept the 500.  i should of started lower.  but i felt that maybe it would insult the guy.  oh well.  i'm happy with the 500.  what do you all say to that?

Offline made by hand

Re: bought a sunn full stack for 500 bucks.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »
cromag....you did well...congrats on the new amp..as far as the price....what do you think you would of payed if you bought the head and two cabs seperate.????   you see that set up on ebay only as single components and usually they all go out at a higher price than what you payed...hopefully the head doesn't have any issues and the speakers don't rattle. but, everything can be fixed or replaced....you have yourself a great setup there....good luck with it.one thing that's nice about it is that you have two cabs to lift instead of a single 2x15 cab..enjoy the toy...smiles  Bob

Offline cromag

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:28:14 pm »
yeah, the way i see it is i paid 160 some odd dollars for each piece.   that's not too bad at all, i guess.  i played through each cab seperately in the shop with the head.  sounded o.k. at low volume.  pots were really scratchy.  so i'm hoping my cleaning things will help a bit.  if not i have a guy in north carolina that is a sunn fixer.  fixed a beta bass up for me.   

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:34 am »
From a wheeler-dealer point of view, yes, you should have started lower, based on the fact that he accepted your first offer.

As far as getting a good deal on some classic gear, you did good. Real good.
Isaac

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:11:45 pm »
id say its a great deal.  the usual good deal i see on concert leads is around 200, id say more for the cabs. 

Offline HRobert

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:34:26 am »
Now find some JBL D or K 120's and listen to that amp crank.  I had a 67 Sunn Sentura with 4 JBL D130's and it was ungodly.

Offline Sunnmon

• NO BODY WAS EVER SORRY THEY BOUGHT THE BEST
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »
You did awesome! I recently bought a Concert bass, a 1973 only missing the handle: $129 and a Red Knob Coliseum lead, 1975 for $200, and lastly a Sunn 215S with msimatched 15" for $200. So $500 is well, yer a bargain hunting STUD!! YOU DA MAN EVEN IF ALL 8 speakers are blown.
Peace and happiness to all.
SUNNMON

Offline cromag

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »
the coliseum lead is a black and silver one with greenish color lettering.  after cleaning it up on the inside it sounds really nice.   one of the cabs with all original speakers sounds fantastic.  the other one with mixed matched speakers doesn't sound so good.  three of the speakers had the aluminum disct caps but the guy snipped them all out.  one of them rattles very badly with certain freqs.   it has a weird ohm reading too according to the multi-meter.  so i need to get some new speakers for it.  i am pleased with that deal.  i did just recently shit the bed on a concert slave for 120.  i didn't send the guy the money in time and he sold it out from under me.  oh well.