Author Topic: 1200s slight hum  (Read 2167 times)

Offline paco)))

1200s slight hum
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:44:57 pm »
Hello, I haven't been here in awhile but I'm still loving my Sunns! I'm going to buy a 1200s silver face from a guy here for $275. Seems to work very well & looks nice too. It does have a slight hum/buzz when I've got my bass real close to the amp though. It doesn't seem to get any louder with a distortion pedal on & really isn't that big a deal. I just wonder if I should give it a new power cord with a ground to try to make it perfect? To justify my purchase I promised my wife I would sell an amp so up for grabs on ePay is my 190B. It's a great sounding amp but I want more power (of course) but now I'm going to be needing a new cab since that 1200s is such a monster  :-D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=290264422197

Thanks,
Chris

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: 1200s slight hum
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:46:16 pm »
  Hi there,sounds like the hum/buzz might be single coil pickups near the magnetic field of your power transformer.You could try putting on a grounded ac cable,if you do be sure to disconnect the "polarity" sw. and the cap that goes from the sw. to ground. It might get a little quieter,it'll definately be safer,good luck,Mel.

Offline paco)))

Re: 1200s slight hum
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:50:09 pm »
Thanks man, I think after I get the amp I'll take it to a good tech here & have him take a look at it. I don't wanna risk messing something up  :wink: