Author Topic: beta lead volume output not what it used to be  (Read 2363 times)

Offline kevan

• demolition by low frequency
beta lead volume output not what it used to be
« on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:38 am »
hi everyone.
after trauling the internet for a reason i find myself here.
i found a beta lead in a local music store for $225 it was sold as is cuz he doesnt want to see it again
the amp tech went through and replaced various things and says it has a newer transformer in it
i got to my jam spot and was stunned by how loud it was yet with clarity and lots of punch
ive had it a week now and there has been a significant volume drop. i took it home and tried to find the problem
thought maybe a socketed component came out or something. thought it was fixed and was playing it loudly but it did not seem as loud as it was then BOOM! its regular volume kicked in for about 10 seconds or so then back to not so loud. all the connections are intact from what i can tell no loose wires, jacks,no cold solder joints etc...
why is this happening any ideas?
-K

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: beta lead volume output not what it used to be
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:42:58 pm »
  Hi there,check the switch contacts on your effects loop jacks,check your volume comtrol also.It really does sound like a bad solder conn.,so go over it with a fine toothed comb.Good luck Mel.

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:59:19 pm »
i've been interested in opening up my beta lead and cleaning up some solder joints becuase i've got some noise and a lower volume that id expect.  is there anything i should know about doing this?  i have heard i need to discharge the caps, but i dont know how to do so.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:25 pm »
  Hi there,you have to be careful with the Beta series amps.Some of the ic's are C-MOS
 technology,which means they're prone to static shock discharge.You should wear a ground strap (bracelet) just to be sure you don't zap any of the ic's.Be very careful if you're using a brush to clear dust/dirt away from the ic's.Hope this is of some help,
good luck,Mel.